and then move the
disk to other computers
where they can load
the data, or games,
so they don't need
a network.

Mr. O
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I'm not sure but, I think he means creating something that will load the diskettes content when inserted in the drive?

therealprogrammer
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Why exactly is the decreasing use of floppy disks a problem?

Aaron F Stanton
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Because the very moment you actually need a floppy disk, you'll notice two things:

1) You're lucky if you can find someone that has one laying around
2) Once you find a disk, you'll find that at least half the time either the source or target PC no longer has a floppy drive.

Greg Hurlman
Thursday, July 08, 2004

The thing is, you'll NEVER actually need a floppy disk.  That's like saying "The minute you need a reel to reel tape, you're screwed."

get a pen drive, Luddite.

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Thursday, July 08, 2004

"get a pen drive, Luddite."

And where does that plug into my 486 router?

Kevin
Thursday, July 08, 2004

> Why don't we create a system to load an interface as for CDs?

5 year CDs are only paying 1.5% right here. I'd put your money elsewhere for the time being - I hear the real estate market is on fire!

SK
Thursday, July 08, 2004

An interface for floppies, so that you can put programs, etc. on it.  You mean, like some kind of "operating system"?  That would be sweet!  It could control the display and other i/o devices too!
oh, wait...

sir_flexalot
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Hey, Victor, aren't you with the red cross now? Do they still work with floppies?
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=157344

Janonymous
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Here's a weird product I came upon the other day:

http://www.verbatim.com.au/products/productdetail.cfm?ID=FP0M

It's a smartmedia flash memory card reader in the form factor of a floppy disk. You put your card in the "floppy" and put the floppy in the floppy drive and it reads and writes the card.

I guess it would be a good way to get several megabytes to a machine that doesn't have a USB port.

Bill Tomlinson
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I bet most floppy drives wouldn't support more than the 1.44 size.

christopher (baus.net)
Thursday, July 08, 2004

"The thing is, you'll NEVER actually need a floppy disk.  That's like saying 'The minute you need a reel to reel tape, you're screwed.'"

I recently tried to install Windows as a dual-boot option on a Linux laptop. Luckily, XP is happy anywhere on the disk; however, had I been stuck with an earlier version of Windows, I'd have had to fool it into thinking it was on the first partition. GRUB, the boot loader, can map one partition to another to fool the OS prior to loading it; however, it can't boot to a CD. So I could either directly boot to the Windows install CD from the BIOS (and lose the partition mapping) or partition-map in GRUB and then boot to a DOS disk with CD-ROM support and start the install CD from there. Except I have no floppy drive on my laptop, so I'd've been fscked.

Fringe case, I know, but "never" is a strong word.

E. Naeher
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Ok, I'll admit to having been glad on more than one occasion to have access to a usb floppy drive, but my question was not "Why exactly is the decreasing presence of floppy drives a problem?" but rather "Why exactly is the decreasing use of floppy disks a problem?"  It is indeed nice to have a floppy drive on hand if you need one, but honestly, they *will* go away.

I'm trying to remember the last time I used a cassette drive.  Oh, yeah, it was with the TRS-80 model III we had in 1980.  Amazingly, my lack of access to one has not caused me any problems whatsoever.

Aaron F Stanton
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Still loads of utilities that ask for a floppy.

I was trying to make a bootable CD to install a Ghost Image on the laptop. No way; possibly the problem is that the CD drive isn't reading well enough to boot, but a mess.

Maybe I can boot off the pen drive, but not too sure about that, or how to do it.

Floppies are nice and easy. I'd have paid the price for the floppy module for my Omnibook if only the dealer had been competent enough to locate one.

Stephen Jones
Friday, July 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home