Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

H1 Visa

I am working in India for a reputed software company.
I have got an offer in a US compnay and they are ready to process my H1 visa. I am a person who is willing to work in US for a long term. My Indian compnay will send me only for short term. If I am going to work in the US compnay it will be technically different domain. It will be more managerial than technical.

I am in confusion whether to shift to a new domain with managerial role or continue in the same domain.

Any thoughts ?

Chidambaram
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Whatever has the brightest future. Keep in mind that any job you take has to be related to your education in order to get the H1B.

sid6581
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I will say take up the job which you would LOVE to do rather than taking up the one which has brightest future but you don't like it.

Also, if your current IT company is sending you for short term H1, then first come here. Meet those guys at the prospective company. See their offices, Meet their people and then decide whether you want to join them or not.

All the best!
JD
http://jdk.phpkid.org

JD
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Just remember that if you come to the US on an H1B visa, you'll always have to have a sponsor to stay.

If you loose you job at some point, you have to move fast to get a new one or else you'll lose your legal status.

KC
Thursday, July 08, 2004

"....or else you'll lose your legal status."

...at which point the INS will do a tremendous job ignoring him so he can live here for as long as he wants.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

>I am a person who is willing to work in US for a long term. My Indian compnay will send me only for short term

So dude...you are asking to educate you on how to break the terms of your H1 agreement?

If your company is sending you for "short term" work then I suggest you stick to the terms which your company has agreed to in getting the H1 visa. It does not matter if you are willing to work long term or not. 

Also BTW you have been granted the Visa based on your expertise in a particular domain -- expertise which your company has said it cannot find in USA -- so to say otherwise is a misrepresentation of your Visa terms.

Code Monkey
Thursday, July 08, 2004

>> Also BTW you have been granted the Visa based on your
>> expertise in a particular domain -- expertise which
>> your company has said it cannot find in USA

Boloney. Too idealistic statement. If that's the case, nobody would get H1B...

Alex from there
Friday, July 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home