Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good books on DB Design?

Please recommend some good books on database design. It can be a generic approach or can be specific to SQL Server or Oracle. Thanks! Bob

Bob
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Depends what you want - if you want just sample db schemas there are a ton of books that give different types of ER diagrams.

If you are looking for deeper stuff - i.e with stored procedures, indexing, triggers etcf - you might be better off with a tutorial on any of the above databases.

Prarie Dog
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

There's an O'Reilly book on MS Access that is quite good. There is also an excellent book called "Designing Databases with MS Access" by Deborah Riordan, published by MS Press.

The fact that both are talking about Access is irrelevant. The general principles are the same.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558605762/qid=1089192327/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-6913033-7939863?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

a2800276
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Database Design for Mere Mortals

I read it after building my first large scale (200+GB) database and kicked myself because many of the issues and concepts were relatively straightforward.

KC
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Practical SQL Handbook: Using SQL Variants (4th Edition) by Judith S. Bowman, Sandra L. Emerson, Marcy Darnovsky

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201703092/

Fred
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

As I recall SQL for Smarties has absolutely nothing to do with database design.

If you have no database experience I second the recommendation of Database Design for Mere Mortals.
It's a little slow and lite, but that's what makes it a good introduction.

Billy Joel on Software
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I have Data Modeling Essentials, 2nd edition, but I've only flipped through it.  It's on-topic for you, anyway:  nothing but modeling.

SecutusEst
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

<BITTER_SARCASM>
Why do you need to model data you cry baby?  Real programmers just slap some tables in the database and add random fields.  Normalization?  Huh?  Keys?  Wha?  Entity?  Whats'at?  At least that's how it's done here...
</BITTER_SARCASM>

Please help me escape.

anon
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Been awhile since I bought and nearly read but I still like "The Data Model Resource Book" which has or had a CD you could buy for a ridiculous amount of money. The book itself is worth it as it works with real world models and goes into explanations on modelling based on usage.  I believe it was this book that opened my eyes to the snapshot in time. A customer could be an employee could be a distributor etc. etc ... I always like think of things as "at this time, or during this time" as opposed to hard,fast rules true for all time.  However, I never mention this in real life to anyone else I work with.

me
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home