Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Name that mouse button, part deux

I wasn't going to rant over my new, piece of doggie doo, Logitech mouse.  But I did anyway, and got called a moron who can't drive a mouse for it.

oh well.

I've now tried every option they give me for clicking that mouse wheel, none of them act like mouse button 3.

So is there a way I can tell if pushing that wheel is indeed sending something to the PC?  I'm not gonna throw up my hands and return it yet, I want it to work.  That, and getting to CompUSA during the week inflicts a good 45 minutes of traffic hell on me each way.  So I got until Saturday to make this turkey work.

What sucks is I bought 2 of these turkeys, cuz my mouse at work sux ass and it's easier to spend the $40 than to dork with IT.  So I gotta return 2 of the suckers.

Snotnose
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Dude.  Seriously.  There is an option in the drop down for the wheel button.  That option is "Middle Button".  If you select that as your click action, then you will have a middle button.

If you cannot figure this out, it is a wonder that you manage to operate a browser and get to this site.

If you set it to "Middle Button" and it doesn't behave like one, then your mouse is busted.

muppet from forums.madebymonkeys.net
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

As he said, set it as Middle Button. It should then do all the default things middle buttons do. For the new tab thing check in preferences.

If it doesn't work use the other mouse. If that doesn't work reinstall the software. If that doesn't work try them out on other installations.

Possibly you have some other software interfering with the Logitech software.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

same thing happened to me. I uninstalled mouseware and everyting was fine

Jack
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I have a Logitech cordless mouse (which, BTW, is by far the best mouse I've ever had) it didn't work properly if I connected it using the PS/2 port, but it's fine if you put it through a USB port.

Mr Jack
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Dude, seriously.  Don't you think I'd have noticed something called  "Middle Button"?  Have you read my post at all?  Have you tried living without your bong handy?

As I said, I tried every option in the drop down menu.  None of them do a thing that I can detect.  So maybe I got defective hardware.

Is there something I can run that will just listen to my mouse (on the usb port, BTW, same as my old mouse) and report back a hex code, or an event whenever I push a button?

Snotnose
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

What the hell kind of knock off product did you buy that doesn't have a "Middle Button" option?  I've never SEEN a logitech device without it.

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Are you sure the driver installed correctly?  I have a Logitech at work with the default windows driver and there is no third button option.  When the wheel is pressed, it gives me "scroll arrows" to move the page.  At home I have the Logitech software installed and have it set as a button.  Given the fact that you don't see the option to turn the wheel into a button, I'm guessing that its a software problem, not a hardware one, since Windows only displays choices given to it by the hardware driver.  If the choice showed up, but didn't work, then I would go with a hardware problem.

Steamrolla
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

BTW, earlier you complained about the Logitech web site.  I wouldn't try navigating it.  There are lots of sites out there that Google indexes better than the owner and this sounds like one of them.  Search for something like Logitech ModelXXX win95 and see what pages google comes up with.  If the driver in the box doesn't work right with older windows, Google probably will give you the correct driver in the first couple of links... On the other hand, if you are the only person in the world having this problem, nothing on the net can help you (including the official Logitech page.)

Steamrolla
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Most people don't understand that my funny looking mouse is really a trackball.  I use alogitech trackman and could not be happier.  It also deters people from using my computer...

Misunderstood
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

"I've now tried every option they give me for clicking that mouse wheel, none of them act like mouse button 3."

I recently got a new Logitec cordless mouse, and the Logitec drivers didn't seem to work well at all.  Clicking the scroll wheel and the thumb buttons didn't work in many apps.  I eventually gave up and changed the driver to use the MS Intellimouse Explorer driver and now everything works fine.  If this weren't the only decent looking mouse in the store, I would have returned it on the spot.  But that's the topic for a different rant about the current models of mice available.

Mike McNertney
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Actually, I could sympathise with the OP a bit here. I have a Logitech wheel mouse plugged into a USB port, but I also have an ALPS touch pad with custom driver installed, giving customized options on the control panel. The Logitech mouse is using the generic Microsoft driver and has no access to special features through the control panel.

Now, from past experience, if I installed the Logitech software, it would displace the ALPS software.

Does anybody know how you can install the driver software for two different mouse devices simultaneously, and have access to the features of all mouses through the control panel? (I am using W2K)

It seems logical that you would go to the control panel, select the hardware device you want to configure, and then be able to configure that device. But the Windows mouse control panel does not seem to work like that. Am I missing something obvious?

PS: The mousewheel does not behave like button 3 when I press it: rather, it changes the cursor to a little scroll icon and causes the display to scroll when I move the mouse. And nowhere in the control panel do I have an option to configure it differently.

Ian
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

right, because you're using the generic MS driver.  If you don't load the Logitech driver (or it fails to install/load properly) then you get no middle mouse button.

muppet from forums.madebymonkeys.net
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

that's what the middle mouse button does by default on windows since, er, a while ago. try a 3-button mouse if you can find one, same thing will happen.

mb
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

just uninstall all the logitec software and use the generic windows drivers (assuming you are having these problems in windows)

Suppafly
Monday, July 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home