Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Using Knoppix

By using a Linux distro, like Knoppix, that boots up from a CD - how does one store files when Knoppix is running? i.e. the hd has not been partitioned.

Distro
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

You have to partition it. Various partitioning tools maybe bundled with any given distro. Partition your disk, format the proper partitions (again, formatters are bundled), and proceed to mount them (the fat kernels that auto include all the modules will recognize most formats).

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

USB storage works great for that. Just plug it, save it, take your Knoppix to the next machine. Restore from there your configuration and files.

You can mount network shares, local partitions, etc, just fine.

There is a new method of saving to your NTFS partition if that's needed, called Captive NTFS.

There are so many ways, that the best that you can do is to learn from a true documentation:
http://knoppix.net/

Dewd
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

What if I to use an app not included with the Knoppix distro - i.e. say Eclipse.

Would this mean that I store the Eclipse to the memory stick and each time I need it, call it from there?

Prarie Dog
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Generally those LiveCD distros are to let you try the software out.  If you like it, just install it and then you can install all the software you want.  With Knoppix, it's really easy to get new software once you do a hd-install.

apt-get update
^ that updates your package database so your computer knows about all the currently available packages

apt-get install <someprogram>
^ that installs the program (assuming it's in the package database)

saberworks
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I think that if you are wanting to use an app not on a distro like Knoppix, but aren't willing to commit to installing Linux on your system yet that you either see if they have a Windows version (like Eclipse and Thunderbird and Firefox) or see if it can be run using Cygwin. A good majority of apps can be run through Cygwin which can run on your Windows box without messing up your system.

I used this approach to move to Linux from Windows. I migrate from Outlook to Thunderbird on Windows, and had already been using Firefox as my browser. There were certain things I needed to be able to do (like run office documents) that I installed apps on my windows system (OpenOffice).

Once I realized that Windows was just acting as a task switcher, and I wasn't using anything proprietary to it anymore, I was able to back up my files, format and install Linux, and go forward from there.

CF
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

coLinux <http://colinux.org> will let you but a full-fledged Linux inside your Windows box (and recently, inside your Linux box as well). It's not polished, and not yet perfect, but if you want to experiment, give it a try.

Ori Berger
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

With Knoppix, you can save your configuration on a USB device, or on a Windows disk within an image file (well, on my disk, the image got unreadable, I wonder why). I'm not sure it would be a good idea to store something like Eclipse, but I suppose it could be done.

Pakter
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home