Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Free web hosting

Dear All!

I am about to kick off a project on the distributed translation of the philosophical literature into my native language. Does the Almighty All know whether there are such companies which provide the subj with ssh and ftp access and PHP support.

Thanks a lot and deep bows

cyrill
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Consider posting the work to Wikibooks:

http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks_portal

Sheldon Young
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Look around.  You can get pretty decent web hosting for $10 a month or less (I'm paying $7.95).

If your project is worthwhile then it's worth $10 a month.

Made Up Name
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Thanks, Sheldon.

But i was thinking about the place to HOST the site.
Thanks for the link, will include it in the list of friends:)

cyrill
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Check with a local university or for government grants. Non-profit research should be able to get free hosting (probably with links to the sponsor, but free is still better than pay).

sir_flexalot
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

How much space do you need?

Kevin
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I have a 1&1 account with atleast a year or two on the contract, and since I'm not using it I'd get rid of it "darn cheap."  Interested?

ed
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

~ 20 Meg

cyrill
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I am aware about cheap hosting, but not sure that the project is going to live and evolve the way I see it, want to check first and then move to a proper place after a while (year or half). Can't kick it off from my box at the Uni, as it is not ethical from my viewpoint even though is not prohibited.

cyrill
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Why not get a professor to sponsor it, make it an official university project, and get use of their resources?

Mind you, you run the risk of losing control of the project, but it might be possible to get language in an agreement that you'll retain credit...

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home