Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

performance review

I have a performance review in about a month, and my manager has been very busy during the past year and I doubt he has an accurate idea of what I did. Employees can fill out a self-evaluation form if they want -- I am definitely going to fill it out this year, but it won't help if he sees it after writing my review. Is it normal to send your manager the self-evaluation before the review meeting? (In the past I just brought it to the meeting or, like most others here, didn't fill it out).

Dr. Real PC
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Definitely.  It's hard to argue your merits when you didn't even do the paperwork for the meeting you're attending.

sir_flexalot
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Yes.

My last boss would give me a copy of the eval, then we'd both fill it out and have a meeting to compare notes.

It worked out pretty well and it was nice knowing exactly what the measures were.

KC
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

My question was whether to send it to him in advance, maybe a week before. Normally, he would read it during the review meeting. But that would be too late, since he would have already written it (without really knowing what I did).

Dr. Real PC
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Yes it is normal. When we had performance reviews here (some big shot idiot manager canned them) we used to send our self-review ahead of time.

S
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

It sounds like you don't have an actual system in place for reviews.  This can be both good and bad.

The bad is when your boss completely blows off you review due to there being no pressure to get it done.

The good is that you can exert some influence over how the proceedings go.

I would definitely send the self-appraisal to him early, and request a brief sit-down to talk about it before he writes his review.

www.ChristopherHawkins.com
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Ah. Performance reviews. Yeah I remember these. It helps if you spent the whole year tracking what you were actually doing so you can fill it in at the end of the year. Most people accomplish much more than they remember.

This is really, just like the resume & interview, nothing more than a sales/marketing tool. This is what my last self evaulation said: (I'm paraphrasing)

I'm a winner, no, I'm not a loser
To be an M.C. is what I choose 'a
Ladies love me, girls adore me
I mean even the ones who never saw me
Like the way that I rhyme at a show
The reason why, man, I don't know

I don't know whether or not it was too much, but I liked it.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Man, those lyrics are weak!  Don't be bringin' that shizzle to my hizzle!

Anyway, for the OP: yes, you should send your self-appraisal to your boss early.

As for performance reviews, my boss told me that all the review stuff we do is just HR fluff that really has no bearing on our careers here.  You may enjoy this in a sick way, but the way people are actually evaluated here, as far as getting raises and promotions, is that the managers have these secret council meetings.  In these meetings they talk about each person, and they each offer their opinion on the quality of work, professionalism, and potential of the employee.  The real twisted part is that if they don't have any experience with you, they offer no input, or if they had a one-off experience or just heard a friend bitching about you, you might get negative feedback.

Another major reason why this process is so ineffective is that all the people in these meetings have no idea what you have been studying or learning.  You could just be shuffling paperwork or copying and pasting web content into Front Page or something, and sure... someone might say "Joe is great at shuffling paperwork" or "Betty did a top notch job converting my Word doc into a static web page", but all that gets you is a high rating that you can do the same crappy non-stimulating work you always do.  They have no clue as to what you *could* do if they gave you a chance.

Things can always be worse.  That's why I am puting all my effort into starting my own thing, rather than just going to another faceless monster corporation.

Clay Whipkey
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Don't be messin' with Rob Base.

The thing about performance reviews is that it's a paper trail. Need to fire someone or want to give someone a raise, give them more responsibility, or transfer them to another department, the performance review can act as justification.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Hey, Mark, don't pay any attention to all the haters! You the shizzle!

Wisea**
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Submit a draft, or at least a list of your accomplishments.

ALWAYS. Murphy's Law says if you don't, your manager will forget the most important thing you did.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home