Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Gadget Addiction

I have a problem with gadgets. I'm addicted to them.
A couple of months ago I bought a Motorola v525 cellphone to replace my broken Nokia 3310. After a couple of weeks I decided I wanted a Nokia 6600, Motorola just wasn't that good. My friends and my girlfriend smacked me down with a heavy dose of goodsense to avoid me buying the thing.

After the 6600, it was a portable MP3 player. I didn't need the damn thing, I wasn't going to use it, but they just looked so good on the shelf, and everybody had one............. My friend and my girlfriend smacked me down...

Now it's an external harddrive. This time the rationale is that I need it to make backups of my data/pr0n. You see I've been thinking really seriously about working as a shareware developer, and an USB/FireWire external HDD would be the perfect place to store my backups. Heck, maybe even to work. My friend and my girlfriend..........

How do you deal with gadget addiction?

Slow Learner
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with:

a) MP3 player - I have a car stereo with MP3 support, PocketPC & Walkman with MP3 support.

b) External Hard Drive - They are cheap, portable & can be very fast.

The mobile phone thing may be a little wacked, do research, get one you like and stay with it for 2 years.......

Gen'xer
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

A gadget addiction is - unfortunately - untreatable. The greatest minds of science have not found a cure.

There are two remedies, and these treat the sypmtoms rather than the cause:

(1) Get a job on a magazine reviewing gadgets. Now, you get them free, and can claim that you're just working.
(2) Win the lottery/get a better paid job/rob a bank. These things allow you to afford all the gadgets you want.

Robert Smithson
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Get a new girlfriend who doesn't mind you buying yourself toys?

Anony Coward
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Get a life ?

WhatTimeIsItEccles
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Just send me all your gadgets. There may be a short period of withdrawal pains, but you w'll get over it. It will solve your problem as well.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I go with WhatTimeIsItEccles.

RP
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

It's no different than people addicted to shopping in general.  You have to be honest with yourself and know when what you have is good enough.

I'm probably not helping here, but you should have a backup.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I have to disagree with Anony Coward... my bank account would probably be in much worse shape if my wife (who I often refer to as the purchasing dept) didn't act as overseer of such things.

More often than not, my want for something does not outweigh the inevitable argument/sales pitch down the road.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Option (1) Have children.  They require a lot of time and money and it's hard to argue your toys are more important than theirs.  Also when they're small you have a somewhat high risk environment for technology (e.g. my youngest who when 3 killed a floppy drive with a lolly stick, because he kept losing a game).

Option (2) Put them on your Christmas / Birthday list and let your girlfriend buy 'em  instead ;-)

a cynic writes...
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I just got back from a trip to Japan. The Land of the Untested Gadgets Unleashed Upon The Educated, Rich And Unsuspecting Consumer Segment. When you go to the Best Electronic store in Fukuoka, you realize just how silly it is to acquire all these technologies. I mean, yes, I am sure I can find a use for 3 Nikon lenses and a D70, but unless I can open a serious web catalog I am never gonna use the USD$4000 worth of equipment, so why are we even bothering to chase that technological curve? I am sure we can all find some online novel or O'Reilly Safari book to oogle over on a Sony U50 on your local friendly subway car, but why bother to squint at a squinting screen when you have already worked 16 hours? Maybe we should all work smarter, not harder. Maybe we should try to make do with the only gadget that doesn't need a rechargable battery--our brain.

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Now that I don't have the conch shell, here's my wish list (lol):

* Nikon D70, 5 lens of my choice (no, not the ridiculous expensive ones for shooting surfers, lol)
* Contax 645 or 67 body capable of speaking to a digital back.
* A digital back to go with the Contax
* A fast Mac
* Some basic software for the Mac (Office, AntiVirus, Virtual PC, Photoshop)
* Mini iPod
* Some money to buy some cds to fill the iPod, find out if Unicode on iPods really work
* A Laptop ready for Half Life 2 or Long Horn but weights less than 8 pounds
* A 24K gold chain saying "*LOL*"
* Death Star

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

save your money and buy a classic car.  Imagine the following scenario: your geeky friends all have gadget xyz, but dang, you just didn't have the money.  As they laugh, you sigh, walk to your car, pry the excess scantily clad women off of it, and peel out in a huge cloud of melting tire rubber, accidentally running over said friends' gadget xyz.  Oops! Oh well.

sir_flexalot
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

When I was little, my parents got frustrated with the way I would want a toy, finally get it, and then want something else (in my defense, I got some good usage out of all of my toys; I think my parents just didn't see that).  Anyway, they addressed this by making me keep a list.  If I wanted to buy something, I had to write it on this list, and it had to be on the list for some amount of time (I think it was 2 weeks, later lowered to 1 week) before I could buy it.

As a result, I never had the chance to make impulse purchases, and I also had a running list of all of the things I wanted, which allowed me to prioritize.  I didn't spend as much on, say, video games, when I knew that if I went without a couple I'd eventually have enough for a new bicycle.

I keep a similar list of gadgets that I want today (although I admit to keeping it on my Pocket PC), and it does a lot to keep me from buying things I don't really need or buying little things instead of the big thing that I really want.

Kevin
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Li-fan Chen, your brain does require an external power source (like a battery).  How often do you eat every day? ;)

grinning, ducking and running...
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Amazon.com wishlists. Making a note that I want it is just about as good as owning it. I don't know how it works, but it does.

Also, budget yourself BEFORE you go to the store. Don't take credit cards & skim a good 30% of your income into a bank account you don't have easy access too. Once that bank account hits around $10,000 you'll be more addicted to savings than to gadgets.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

With me it's book addiction.  Solutions to limit my spending include staying out of bookshops, a budget, and thinking about whether this is _really_ where I want to spend the money -- or is there maybe something more important.

You'll always want to buy the latest gadgets, just like I will always want to buy a half dozen books a week.  The trick is not to eliminate the want, but to restrict how much you give in to it.

Should be working
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

One thing I found helped not gadget addiction, but computer hardware/software (ahem) "pre-emptive purchases" (I *know* I'll need this 160G external drive) was to wait until the day before you knew you were going to start using the device in question, and order it then.

I.e., page-in-gadget-on-demand is a good policy, both money-wise and thing-lust-wise.

Chris Ryland
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

+1 on Amazon wishlists - works for me too

Also, may I point out that a 40GB iPod is an external hard drive *and* an MP3 player? :-)

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I thought you could only put iTunes songs in an iPod. You can actually store MP3, mpg's or .doc's in there? 40GB of hard drive in that nice little package?

RP
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

iPods and iTunes happily play MP3, but unless you're pirating the tunes, why not just rip to the better MP4 AAC?

An iPod appears as a standard storage device when you plug it in, so you can copy anything you like onto it.  On the road, you can read notes with the little screen too.  I have a hyperlinked copy of the constitution on mine.  I haven't tried, buy I also have read that you can put your home directory on it under OS X, and carry your work environment home and back without requiring a laptop.  One minor caveat though... the music is stored in such a way that you don't normally see the music files.

poddhappy
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

And in the same vein, you can store and view your address book and as many coming weeks of your calendar you like onto an iPod with the iSync application that comes with OS X.

poddhappy
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

> How do you deal with gadget addiction?

Being an underpaid developer helps a lot.

Daniel Tio
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I'm with "a cynic writes...":

Have children - they are dangerous and they trash expensive equiment - this gives you a perfectly good excuse to replace stuff.  Then you can lie to yourself saying that the reason you bought brand-new mobile phone Y was because mobile phone X was destroyed and not because you have a gadget addiction.

Andrew
Friday, July 09, 2004

I think your friend is banging your girlfriend. You should join for an MMF 3 way and forget the stupid gadget. While you are out shopping for new gadgets, you friend is going down on your GF all the time.

another angle
Friday, July 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home