Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What % of users have various Windows versions?

Anyone know of a source to find out the relative % of users running each of the Windows O/S version?

I.e., What % are running Windows XP, vs. 2000, 98, 95, etc.

I googled for a while and couldn't find anything.

Mr. Analogy
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Ironically, the best answer is "Google Zeitgeist".

http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

For May 2004, it says:

50% Windows XP
20% Windows 98
18% Windows 2000
3% Windows NT
3% Macintosh
1% Windows 98
1% Linux
5% Other

Interesting that Windows Me is either rolled into some other number, or contained in the "5% Other" (meaning, it's less than 1%).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Arent' these numbers reflect Windows versions for users who have Internet connection???

I guess there are many more users who uses different Windows versions who are not online.

JD

JD
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

The percentage of systems used to access Google is not the percentage of desktop O/S's, though.  I would keep in mind that a LOT more technically adept people are using Google, and that pushes the most modern O/S numbers significantly higher than they really are.  Talk to anyone that ships a product meant for the "layperson" (even AOL qualifies here), and I think you'll see the installed & using Windows XP number is lower than 50%.

sir_flexalot
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I didn't say the numbers were accurate. I said they were the best numbers available.

Everybody I know who has a computer, has an internet connection. And even the know-nothing AOL people use Google, because -- let's face it -- the search at Google is much better than the search at AOL.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

What it your target audience? Aunt Mable still running Win98 on her Pentium 166? Or business users who actually buy software applications and who probably have their systems updated every couple of years but are running behind a firewall proxy?

In other words, the Google numbers probably represent the Great Unwashed Masses, not necessarily your customers.

Tom H
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

'Best numbers' is always going to be somewhat hit and miss.

I doubt that installed XP is actually the majority of currently installed MS platforms.

The only way you're going to get close to those kinds of numbers is to pay for them.  http://www.infotechtrends.com/ will give you what you need, if you really need it.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I am surprised to see ~20% for Windows 98. I guess Microsoft is doing a great job: one out of every two regular PC user is using Windows XP.

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

The really interesting thing is that Linux is still far behind Mac OS...

Frederik Slijkerman
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Surveys for large businesses show stark differences between the US and Europe, with W2K very dominant in the US (>50%) and XP pro at NT4 levels (~15-20%) in 2003. Predictions for this year show XP wiping out almost everything else that was still not W2K, but W2K holding out very strong.
Europe shows more of a NT4 -> XP jump, having held on longer to NT4, and bypassing W2K in favor of XP.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

... Ironically, the best answer is "Google Zeitgeist".

What does that prove? Everybody knows that 80% of the installed OS are Linux, and indeed, Linux users are so clever, they don't have to turn to google every second, that's why they show only with 1%.

Ignore my ignorance
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Why is Windows 98 listed twice?

josheli
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

"The really interesting thing is that Linux is still far behind Mac OS..."

Because Linux users already know everything. ;-)

null fame
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Typo. The 1% should've been Windows 95.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

In other news, Mozilla is about to overtake IE 5.5 in the browser market. Sure IE 6 is the clear winner still, but it is interesting.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

In corporate settings Linux was <1% in US and 1% in Europe. Projections show Linux gaining 1% in 2004 and 2% in Europe. MacOS is not present, and is not on the map for 2004.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

There are two kinds of computers not connected to the Internet. The home user one that was bought a few years ago and serves for writing the odd letter, and the corporate - educational one, where there is no need to give the receptionist - CAD student - internet access.

Then there will be the not inconsiderable number of computers connected to the Internet that don't use Google (think typical AOL subscriber).

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home