Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Name that mouse button

I just got a new mouse (Ligitech 310).  Used to be when I pushed the scroll wheel I got a new tab.  Now I don't.  I found I can still get that behaviour with control-left click.

I can remap my mouse keys, but I have about 50 options for what it does.  Non of them say "control-left-click".  Instead they say "forward, back, quick launch, etc".

So what is the generic name for control-left-click? 

And if it wasn't my birthday I'd do another rant on friggin vendors putting crap you don't want onto your computer.  But I'm not in the mood to rant.  Lets just say it will be a while before I buy another Logitech anything.

Snotnose
Monday, July 05, 2004

can you map it to the middle button? (button3?)

mb
Monday, July 05, 2004

Happy Birthday OP :)

Green Pajamas
Monday, July 05, 2004

Dear Snotnose,
                        Edit preferences in Mozilla. Reset it. Postback with result.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Nothing is labeled 'mouse 3'.  For that matter, nothing is labeled 'mouse 1' or 'mouse 2' either, instead they have 'select' and 'alternate select'.

As for editing my Mozilla prefs.  First, my old mouse worked just fine before it went to the big cheese in the sky (actually, only the left button died.  But you ever try to use a mouse with a non-functioning LMB?  But I digress).  Second, how would I know what to set it to?  That's my original question...

Snotnose
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

This is a problem in your mouse drivers. They have remapped the middle mouse button for you to do something "clever", not realizing that you were actually using the middle mouse button for something.

Check your mouse settings in Control Panel, and reset the middle button to act like a middle button.

/Never installs "custom" mouse drivers because of just this kind of bullshit

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Actually, I think the generic name for 'control-leftclick' is 'control-leftclick' and somebody decided to get cute by substituting 'result names'. So now you get to configure your 'navigate back' result to instead perform 'zoom'. I love it:

back=zoom
select=context
context=navigate back

I'd be writing somebody a nasty letter.

Ron Porter
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I've been thinking of a nasty letter.  This mouse bites.

I had to install custom drivers because Win98 didn't see the mouse.  No movement, no button pushes, nothing.

When I went to install the custom driver I got a page showing 5-7 things to install, with checkmarks.  I wanted to uncheck every damned one of them.  So what did the space bar do?  Instead of unchecking the first box like every other install app in the universe, it clicked the Accept button.  So I got to watch it install crap I didn't want, and hope I remembered them all so I could uninstall them later.  Why would I possibly want an e-bay accelerator installed on my machine?  Do some people really think e-bay is hard to use?

Now my middle mouse button, one I use a lot, is broken.  And instead of calling it 'mouse button 3', or some other useful name, I'm given crap like "forward", "launch explorer", etc.  Um, how about "do what every other mouse button 3 in the entire universe does".

They installed "Logitech central".  Figured I could use it to find the newest driver, or possibly even get some *gasp* support.  Nooooo.  Marketing.  100% marketing bullcrap.  And I looked, I couldn't believe it myself.  Lots of windows, lots of menus.  Nothing the least bit useful.

Their web site?  If you want support, it bites.  Hard.  Took me about 20 minutes to find the updated driver, I was too irritated at them by then to keep looking for anything else.

Jeez.

3 days, and I hate this friggin mouse.  Logitech used to be a good company, my old mouse was a Logitech.  Whatever happened to them?

And I wasn't gonna rant :)

Snotnose
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Bizarre that the mouse wouldn't work. Every Logitech mouse I've ever used worked great with the default drivers. Of course, I'm not using 98 (a fact for which I am quite grateful, thank you)...

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I've had no trouble with any Logitech trackball I've ever owned (quite a few) and the logitech driver always has an option to set the middle button to.... ::drum roll:: "Middle Button" in the drop down of selections.

I dunno why you're having a problem.  Clearly you're a moron.

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

To fix the problem (if you haven't already), you need to go into the logitech driver settings, under the Buttons tab, click button 6, modify, and change it to autoscroll (instead of universal scroll). Check the "Use MS Office Compatible Scroll Only (works as Middle Mouse Button" checkbox, click the relevant OK buttons and you should be good to go.

I found your page because I was googling for the same problem, then I figured it out on my own.

You're welcome ;)

Evan Bassett
Monday, August 02, 2004

I also posted in your "Part 3" post, but I wanted to reiterate here to make sure the entire solution was here (the other post links to here) that this solution was using the latest version of the Logitech mouse software that I downloaded from their site not 15 minutes ago, "Version: 9.79.1 build 25    Posted:  01/08/2004". This is with an MX700, but I can't imagine the settings being much different for yours than for mine.

Evan Bassett
Monday, August 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home