Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Local, single-user bug tracking?

Hi All,

I'm hobby programming from home (Windows). Already installed CVS with TortoiseCVS, pretty happy with it.

What I'd like is a single-user, non-browser-based bug tracking program. Something that doesn't need IIS or other extras, just runs as an executable.

I know I can use Excel or even a text file, but maybe there is something out there? Everything I turned up seems web-based and geared to large teams.

Your help appreciated!

Alex
Monday, July 05, 2004

If you are doing it at that level, why not just use FileMaker Pro or Access?

If your efforts are likely to scale (i.e. more developers) then you will need a proper bit of software.

Patrick FitzGerald
Monday, July 05, 2004

If it's single user what features are you looking for? I guess it doesn't need to send emails around to follow up on bugs and stuff. And you wouldn't be exposing it to a network so that clients can file and track bug reports? If you don't need those things, just use excell or set up a Access db.

Dave Guerney
Monday, July 05, 2004

There are probably quite a few stand-alone bug trackers, but here's one free (as in beer):

http://www.pacsoftware.com.au

Fred
Monday, July 05, 2004

I do all of my bug tracking using the TODO list functionality of VS.NET 2003.  Works great for a single developer setup.

Mr Fancypants
Monday, July 05, 2004

I manage 18 comercial programs and for a long time I just just WordTab ( a free multi-tab word pad type program).

Each program was one .rtf file.

THE KEY with bug tracking is to GET THE BUG entered somewhere.

And, of course, verify that the bug is actually a bug. If you can't repeat it then I've learned to ignore it unless several customers report the problem.  Sometimes users just have very wierd machines (or viruses, or what not).

Mr. Analogy
Monday, July 05, 2004

If you are looking for a commerical software product, I believe BugCollector Pro and BugLink Solo might meet your needs. You will have to do a Google search on them since I haven't used either of these products.

One Programmer's Opinion
Monday, July 05, 2004

It's not specifically a bug tracker, but since I really just use a bug tracker as a to-do list anyway, try this:

http://www.codeproject.com/tools/ToDoList2.asp

Chris Tavares
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I just make a folder in Outlook based on the task list. Outlook is surprisingly customisable actually.

Matthew Lock
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Piece of paper.

a2800276
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I used to use a piece of paper.  It's highly flexible (yes, literally too), very scalable, and easy to pass around updates.

Next, as I started to accumulate numerous bugs and requirements, I used a really simple Access database.  I use it for both bug and requirement tracking and it prints pretty reports.

Finally, since I'm having to collaborate more and more, I started using Mantis.  I know it's browser-based, but I tweaked my Access database to connect to the mysql backend (get the driver from mysql.com) and now I can use it through either interface equally well.  And, I tweaked my reports, so they work from the mysql database too.

And, more importantly, the other users can pull up a page to see the status of their bugs/requirements.

KC
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Put bug reports, functionality wishes, and all other "issues" directly in the source code with a marker (made by editor macro, of course) which can be searched/scanned by a dirt simple grep or perl program to generate a report in any form you wish.

Then when you want to work on issue category X, you can just jump to the next issue in your source editor and get started.  When an issue occurs to you as you're working, you just jot it down inline.  No stopping what you're doing to open program X or poke around your desk for notebook Y.

Keeping this kind of data separate from the source in a one-size-tries-to-fit-all format strikes me as kind of silly.  Record it inline.  Use a text scanning tool to generate any kind of output you may then need.

Robert
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Mr Fancypants, thanks for the suggestion, I had no idea VS had a TODO list; it's perfectly enough for me.

Robert, your answer tells me why you're a real hacker and I'm not... :(

Alex
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Take a look at LEO, which is a great tool for handling programming at this scale.

http://leo.sourceforge.net

It's a literate programming tool, and not specifically for bug tracking.

However, if you download it and take a look at the examples, you'll see how the Leo's author handles his bug tracking, which is neat.

Ged Byrne
Monday, July 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home