Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Work vs. Family time

Of those of us with families, during the work day, how many hours do you spend:
  - In front of a computer and/or Working  (10-11)
  - With your signifcant other (2-4)
  - With your children (2-4)
  - Sleep (6-7)
  - Other  (0-1)

I have seen over the past few years a large jump in "work" for which my children seem to lose the hours. (Their schedule is fixed)

Is this a trend or me?

JustCurious
Monday, July 05, 2004

Maybe you need to work more to make ends meet?

RP
Monday, July 05, 2004

8 hrs Work
6 hrs Wife/kids
8 hrs Sleep
2 hrs Misc

I don't like overtime, and neither does my boss.  He'd rather have longer time to market than to burn out programmers and replace them every couple years.

Walt
Monday, July 05, 2004

Dear Curious,

1) You are not getting enough sleep

2) What is so important about your job that you are giving it so much time? If you are doing something entrepenurial, then maybe it is ok, otherwise not.

This fetish of "How do I deliver the maximum surplus value for my employers?" is rather silly.

dot for this one
Monday, July 05, 2004

Walt,
  Can we get your boss cloned??

sgf
Monday, July 05, 2004

10 hours work
5 hours daily commute
5 hours sleep
4 hours family/misc

I know, the commute is a soul sucking bitch, but I can sleep for 3 of those 5 hours (comfy bus).

As an entrepreneur, getting married and having kids made much more difficult to get things done. I work on my projects 4 hours per weekend, and manage to steal other 4-8 hours per week from my day job/lunch time. This of course forced me to be much more aware of my limitations and time management skills.

Advice for the young ones, do the best you can before getting married, while you can define your own schedule.

Mauricio Macedo
Monday, July 05, 2004

You poor person :(.

I can't even imagine the collection of  disasters that would result in a 5-hr daily commute. I sincerely hope it is VERY temporary.

Tracy
Monday, July 05, 2004

"""In front of a computer and/or Working  (10-11)"""

What the f*ck is so important in front of the computer that you are sacrificing your kids for?

Monday, July 05, 2004

Hint: When you're dead, your boss isn't going to give a sh!t, nor is the company you worked for.

At the rate you're going, your family won't either.

Monday, July 05, 2004

Religious Jewish people can't touch electrical devices between Friday sunset and Saturday sunset (or something like this).

I think that as a culture we need to adopt the same policy. Siesta in the afternoon, and no electricity after dusk. I think a lot of our problems will go away - i.e. sleeplessness, loneliness. If I was mayor of this town, I'd institute some sort of policy (optional) that endorsed this kind of thing. Then I'd get voted out of office my very next term by the giant corporations who think they're losing productivity & the media who make money on prime time advertising.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, July 05, 2004

Re: No electrons after dusk.

Great idea. Though we wouldn't miss much, since we don't have a TV nor a radio nor a VCR, etc.

Chris Ryland
Monday, July 05, 2004

I have read that before the use of electric light, most people slept about 9 1/2 hours a night, not 6 or 7 like most of us think is appropriate now.

dot for this one
Monday, July 05, 2004

8 sleep
14 computer
2 etc

Nix
Monday, July 05, 2004

For some reason my breakdown doesn't ever add up
to 24 hours.

son of parnas
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

The 9 1/2 hour comment made me think of this..
"Work is a necessity for man. Man invented the alarm clock."
-Pablo Picasso

Fredrik Svensson
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

To add to the Hint: comment above, nobody ever lies on their deathbed wishing they had spent more time in the office.  If you're not working for yourself, those hours had better be very temporary.

GML
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

That's one of those meaning less sayings people trought out in discussions like this.

"nobody ever lies on their deathbed wishing they had spent more time in the office" except of course the homeless guy dying in the park who thinks, If I had only tried a little harder I wouldn't have been in this situation.  Or the father who is like "if I had only spent more effort in my work before I had kids I'd be able to provide better for them now"

Gunma Ken
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I just babysat my 5 & 6yo sisters for a week. I now have a new admiration for parents working from home. I also have decided not to have children.

Truthfully, I work 4hours per day approx (p/t job), aside from that my time was spent cleaning up, telling them to clean up, some playing with them, lots of cleaning up mess that they couldn't (ie scrubbing paint from good clothes that they decided to paint in, because I erronousely decided the silence was good and didn't check up on them...). Making them food (they eat so much, half of it gets wasted), telling them that they can't have junk food, dealing with the tears when they realised that they weren't going to get any junk food. Bathing them, getting them to bed, washing clothes etc etc etc.

I think they are decent children, and I as a parent I enforce a bit of discipline. Yet they were still a humungous amount of work. There was no way to get into my office. None. The 1-2 hours I might be able to find during the day was spent on the lounge/bed/back step relaxing.

Do any parents with young children actually attempt to work from home? It just seems so impossible. As a women, no matter how much my husband will help, it still falls to me to organise this part of our lives. I just can't see how I could possibly do it, and still have time for my husbnad, and then still have time for a career....something has to give.

Aussie chick
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

> something has to give

A canonical solution is school (preschool or daycare. junior and senior kindergarden, etc); or (less commonly now) an aunt or grandparent; or skip having children. Some (large) companies run their own schools for 0- to 3- and 3- to 6-year olds. Maybe take a year off work while they're infants.

A recent newspaper headline here said a study showed that children with working mothers tend to be better off (more emotionally stable. etc) that those with stay-at-home mums.

Christopher Wells
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home