Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Are there any XP SP2 targetting virues?

Hello all,

The orgarnisation that I am working got hit by a worm recently on our all windows only network. not really big, 30 computers.

There have been reports that there have been infections for mahines while had Win XP SP 2 rc 1.

Now, can someone comment on this... Is SP2 really free from virues, worm attacks as has been claimed? Are there any worms which have been targetting XP SP2 specifically?

Should we wait for final release of SP2?

Worried_IT_guy
Monday, July 05, 2004

I'm sure if you got XP SP2 from a reputable source (ie. Microsoft) then it won't have viruses in it. If someone has downloaded XP SP2 from a warez site then you get what you deserve.

Duncan Smart
Monday, July 05, 2004

Can the OP please rewrite the original post without the grammatical errors / spelling errors as it is hard to understand what you're asking (hence the, I think,  confused reply above)

gwyn
Monday, July 05, 2004

AFAIK, nobody has claimed that XP SP2 is, or ever will be, immune to virus/worm attacks (I assume that's what you meant).

This would be a truly silly statement to make about any software.

"Security" is continuous, not discrete and certainly not binary.

All non-trivial systems have security flaws.

Steve Jones (UK)
Monday, July 05, 2004

Not for SP2 RC2 as far as I know. I'm sure there will be some along eventually... RC1 however is vulnerable to some virii in the wild.

Peter Ibbotson
Monday, July 05, 2004

gwyn: Sorry for the spelling and grammar mistakes.

Steve: I don’t intend to say that SP 2 will be free from viruses or worms.

I want to ask: Is the claim, XP SP2 is a security breakthrough, and so on, valid? Has anyone using SP2 being infected by any of these recent worm/virus attacks. I believe SP2 has been there out for quite sometime.

All I want to ask is: how risk of running a beta is compared against the onslaught of security hazards?

Worried_IT_guy
Monday, July 05, 2004

It's a lot better. Especially as it has a "never trust" option.
It was the recommended configuration at TechEd europe (I think the WLan didn't let you without it).

The only real gotcha is if the release version doesn't support upgrading from RC2 then I'd recommend getting the full release on CD in case it breaks your networking part way through the install.

http://www.newswireless.net/articles/040701-cheese.html

has some notes on the setup at TechEd europe. (we used 7.5 terabytes of data according to the ppt I have)

Peter Ibbotson
Monday, July 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home