Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Code Complete II?

I thought 'Code Complete I' was an interesting read (especially if you are particularly anal as I tend to be) but I'm wondering what new content CC2 offers?  Would I be better off just re-reading my old copy and translating the Pascal code samples into Java?

GuyIncognito
Friday, July 02, 2004

Its of course better than the first, but I wouldn't pay $40 for it, having read the 1st edition.

I am irritated as the author said on his website that anyone who had a correction make it into the book would get their name in the acknowledgements.  So I spent a couple of hours of my time going through a chapter or two and submitting multiple corrections which he -did- use, only to see later that his acknowledgement was to "the hundreds of internet users who gave suggestions".

disgruntled.

sd
Friday, July 02, 2004

The corrections you gave were probably also submitted by hundreds or thousands of other people, most of whom probably submitted them long before you did.

I've never even bothered to read the book because I am already smarter than anyone who has ever written for Microsoft Press.

Mr. Fancypants
Friday, July 02, 2004

I might agree with you if some of those internet users were given credit.  The fact is that none of the people who submitted corrections via the web recieved any recognition.  Surely a portion of those hundreds made unique and meaningful contributions.

sd
Friday, July 02, 2004

sd,

Why do you need attention so much? Grow up!

If you want recognition so badly, maybe you should write a book and plaster your name all over it.

grunt
Friday, July 02, 2004

I agree that it's stupid to want the promised recognition so much, especially since the way sd made it sound, he went through the book to find errors *just so* he'd get it, but at the same time, if McConnell specifically promised that recognition then he ought to give it.

Anyway, I'm reading it right now and I'd say that it's fantastic. Yeah, there's definate overlap between both editions, but I've still gotten a lot out of this new edition even after reading the first one.

Internet Legend Robin Patterson has a Posse
Friday, July 02, 2004

The book is sitting on my home desk and it looks - after a small glimpse through it- very promising.
The main difference to 1 seems the focus on oop and therefore languages like Java instead of C or Pascal.

Panna
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

The "hundreds of internet users" were the people who submitted comments about the first edition from 1993-2003.  I acknowledged each person who submitted comments specifically for the second edition. There were a few people who submitted comments after the posted deadline, and I didn't acknowledge them. If sd can email me with his full name, I'll be happy to check my email records and see if I received his comments. (It's certainly possible that the email got trapped in my spam filter.)

Steve McConnell
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home