Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Reward yourself for a raise?

What would you get if you were going to reward yourself for a raise?  Say you had plenty saved already.

You can magically spend thousands of dollars without any guilt... what would you get --

A pair of 23" monitors?  (what was that link with the site where all the monitors are stuck together?)

A super nice tablet PC?  A new guitar?  A new car?

Roose
Friday, July 02, 2004

2-3 months backpacking around Europe. And if at all possible, in my new car, which I would have shipped back to the states.

Alternately, I'd use it as seed money to start a business of some sort.

When it comes to new experiences v. material posessions, new experiences win almost every time.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 02, 2004

I'd buy a nice new villa on the beach in Dubai and live tax-free. This is what I intend to do in a couple years anyway, but it'd be nice to do it right now instead.

BTW, that link was: http://www.maxvision.com/maxpac/maxpac8200x.cfm
I might buy myself one of those too ;-)

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, July 02, 2004

I guess I'd spend a month or two in Tibet or Israel.

Tony Chang
Friday, July 02, 2004

Depends how many thousand dollars or euros or whatever.

If it wasn't too much, then a new pair of  lightweight Atomic carving skis and  Fritschi ski-touring bindings.

It it was a bit more then I think I would fix nup my yacht.

And if it were a truly obsceene amount of money I would but a 40' blue water cruiser.

Now there's a thought...

treefrog
Friday, July 02, 2004

More plate armour.

Martin Page
Friday, July 02, 2004

> lightweight Atomic carving skis

Got a pair of SuperCross SX-11 last year......awesome.

Ian H.
Friday, July 02, 2004

Boring answer: pay off the cars and/or student loans
Good answer: Month long cruise for me & the wife to the Mediterranean.

Greg Hurlman
Friday, July 02, 2004

two chicks at the same time :-)

Ricardo Antunes da Costa
Friday, July 02, 2004

Don't buy something, DO something. Not only will it give you something you'll likely enjoy in your memories countless times, it's good conversation material. No one cares to hear about your new plasma screen or surround sound system, but many do like to hear about an interesting trip to the rainforest, or survival hike down the West coast, etc.

Speaking of that, I just got back from a camping trip (to beautiful Awenda Park off of Georgian Bay here in Ontario), and one interesting thing about camping is that it's something that I seem to enjoy more after the fact than even during the fact. I find myself reminiscing for years after about the very early mornings with the birds singing and chipmunks scurrying around the tent, or the night sitting by the crackling fire carefully arranging the logs for maximum heat, or the walks to the beach to collect interesting rocks. All this for something like $23 a night. I never find myself reminiscing about an old stereo or car or video card or monitor setup.

Dennis Forbes
Friday, July 02, 2004

Practical Answer: I throw it in my retirement or money market account. $3,000 now or $10,000 later?

Fun Answer: I'd take a week or two off of work and go visit Europe. Or I'd go visit friends in Japan.

Captain McFly
Friday, July 02, 2004

A dissenting voice: If I still have to work every day, then I wouldn't consider myself to "have plenty saved".  Think about it: if you invest that money (at all wisely, at least), you're probably moving up the date you can retire, maybe by a year or more, and then your time will be 100% your own.

Unless you're fortunate enough to have found a job you love, doing something you'd do anyway even if you weren't getting paid, then chances are you're only working so that someday you can STOP working (at least that's how I see it).

So my vote would be to maybe splurge a fraction of it (say 10%) - and I agree with the other posters that experiences usually trump posessions - and use the rest to buy some stock or real estate or something else that you can expect will appreciate over time.

(Not that I'd necessarily *follow* my own advice, mind you... but that doesn't stop me from giving it... :-)

- former car owner in Queens
Friday, July 02, 2004

Dag, Cap't McFly beat me to it...

- former car owner in Queens
Friday, July 02, 2004

"Fun Answer: I'd take a week or two off of work and go visit Europe. Or I'd go visit friends in Japan."

Obviously a week or two won't give you much time. I meant "I'd take a *month* or two".

Captain McFly
Friday, July 02, 2004

MarkTAW and Dennis Forbes took the words out of my mouth. Experiences have way more emotional resonance for me than more "stuff". (Admittedly, I already have pretty much everything I need to be comfy and pursue my interests.)

Personally, I'd probably use it to add an instrument rating to my private pilot's license.

John C.
Friday, July 02, 2004

>> lightweight Atomic carving skis

>Got a pair of SuperCross SX-11 last year......awesome.

oh, oh  Skiing talk in July!  I just got my Heavenly Pass.  6 more months and it will snowing like crazy in Tahoe!  I would probably go with Karhu Jaks though...

christopher baus.net
Friday, July 02, 2004

I bet there's still snow on the Sky chair. Don't they usually run on July 4th? Squaw used to.

With my raise, i'd buy new windows for my house, or buy a new oven/range/stove.

MilesArcher
Friday, July 02, 2004

I would only spend it on computer hardware or other objects if you knew that it was not a one time raise.

somemorone
Friday, July 02, 2004

Hey, if skiing in July is your thing, don't forget it's the height of winter in the southern hemisphere. Anyone know what the slopes are like on New Zealand's South Island?

John C.
Friday, July 02, 2004

-----"I'd buy a nice new villa on the beach in Dubai and live tax-free. "------

It would cost you a hell of a lot more than a few thousand dollars.

And you'd find you'd spend all your daytime indoors for eight months a year because of the heat and humidity.

That said Dubai is a fair place to work and live in, but cheap it ain't.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, July 03, 2004

Don't have any credit-card debt, 401(k) contributions are already at max...

I'd put it in the "Fuck you I'm tired of this place" account for when that day comes.

example
Saturday, July 03, 2004

The guys who are espousing putting it towards an early retirement are also smart, but the real way to an early retirement isn't in investing the extras you get, it's in reducing your expenses now. Cut your expenses now as much as you can - try to live off of half or your actual net salary, after taxes & after 401k contributions. This gives you a 1:1 savings cushion - for every month you work you get 1 month's lving expenses in savings. After a year you could, in theory, take a year off. After 15 years or so you could probably live off of the interest you're earning (assuming a 5% return compounded)

Remember, we're all going to be living off of our investments one day when we retire. Blindly contributing to a 401k without figuring out your actual expenses & potential income after that date is foolish.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 03, 2004

Well, I suppose I could come up with a couple people I know who could live decently on half their take-home...the rest of us would end up living in shacks and driving cars that cough up oil. :p

A decent answer for me would be to spend some of it on a treat of some sort for myself and pay off debt or save the rest.

I find I'm sanest when I allow myself some slack in my budget, but am also putting enough away to stave off anxiety. In other words, the dreaded cliche "balance."

Gagging, since I really dislike cliches
Saturday, July 03, 2004

Treat yourself - live for now. Buy something materialistic (like a really expensive watch) or go on holiday!  ;-)

TheGeezer
Sunday, July 04, 2004

I would go someplace far away.

Um, wait, that's exactly what I'm going to do in January. I don't know how I'm going to pay for the trip to Australia or New Zealand yet, but that's what credit cards are for, are they not?

This is absolutely the best way to spend your money: on your own, living in hostels where you meet other travellers and seeing interesting places.

Which one will you remember when you're too old to do things like this? Your plasma TV or month-long trip around Australia?

Marko
Monday, July 05, 2004

How about skiing *in* Australia:

http://skiing.about.com/library/weekly/aa050501a.htm

In the southern hemisphere, winter is just beginning, and the ski resorts are usually open June through October, meaning now is the time to start planning your summer ski holiday.

Andrew
Friday, July 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home