Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

anyone here ever do server migration

I'm praying i can get out of my current company (5 IT guys quit in the dot com bust and 9-11...what does that tell you) and I have an interview coming up for a job doing server migration and testing...going from ibm datacenter to UNIX and AIX (this is what they have told me over the phone, and they said they will get back with more emails).  I just graduated 2 months ago, so I have no clue exactly what kind of stuff i should be looking at.  Any suggestions?  From the sound of the vague description i was given, its more of a installation type job than a development job. 

Grover
Thursday, July 01, 2004

If it's just server migration then yes, it sounds like IT  not development.  There might also be some testing involved.

However it could be migrating off some ancient IBM platform to UNIX.  i.e porting apps.

Koz
Thursday, July 01, 2004

I'm pretty sure thats it

Grover
Thursday, July 01, 2004

They are actually migrating TO AIX?  It would be pretty difficult to get me to agree to that.  Linux, Solaris, freeBSD, ok, but AIX?

christopher baus.net
Thursday, July 01, 2004

make sure there is pro in a group and that you can learn but not take responsibility

Thursday, July 01, 2004

yeah...it is going over to Sun Solaris Unix...maybe it is migrating from AIX to Unix..the lady on the phone didn't say much.

Grover
Thursday, July 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home