Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Gmail Tip

if you are like me and have a ton of links in your favourites..just upload it to gmail, that way searching it is not a problem.

Prakash S
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Cool tip.  Thanks, Prakash!

www.ChristopherHawkins.com
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Searching bookmarks using GMail? That is just plain crazy...

So you mean when I want to lookup a book mark I have to login into Gmail, search for it and then click on it?

I guess when one has a hammer everything looks like a nail :-)

Why not just categorize your bookmarks properly in the first place for fast access? And BTW if you are using firefox (as anyone with a modicum of sense should) you can set a keyword for your bookmark in properties and then just type it in to go to that URL.  You can also search easily on bookmark names in firefox.

Code Monkey
Thursday, July 01, 2004

if you have so many bookmarks that you need a search engine to find one, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of bookmarks?

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Thursday, July 01, 2004

i use firefox & IE..love the Open in tabs feature in firefox.

the problem is over the years my favourites has taken a life of its own, currently its 400K and sort of organised.

It is too much trouble to re-arrangeit and I have not seen any tool that could help me.

And I really don't want to take the effort of adding keywords....that kind of thing never works..

Prakash S
Thursday, July 01, 2004

In opera, there's a quick find bar above bookmarks. Start typing a word from the name or URL and you get an instantly filtered list of results.

TomA
Thursday, July 01, 2004

...or use http://www.furl.net - no login required if you accept a remember me cookie, you can make (selected) favorites available on the web, see "users who liked this also liked" amazon type recommendations, cache a copy of the page, expose your favorites as an RSS feed, search not only the bookmarks but the pages themselves and add pages using bookmarklets so that you don't have to visit the site directly as well as some other stuff.  It's free but they haven't revealed their business model yet.  Still, given that I can export my favorites I'll keep using them until they disappear.

r1ch
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Muppet:

nopes, my bookmarks is a very tiny subset of all the links I have previsouly visited and have saved for a reason.

good point though.

TomA:

I have not used Opera in a long time, and with firefox I don;t think I will be using Opera...

Prakash S
Thursday, July 01, 2004

My favorites folder is categorized and has perhaps less than 40 bookmarks.

Anything else I need I can find via Google in 4 seconds flat, without searching through a huge bin of bookmarks.

You people are just silly.

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Thursday, July 01, 2004

I you have a 400K favorites list you are beyond help.  I think you do not exactly get what "favorites" mean.

Go to http://www.google.com/help/operators.htm and lookup how intitle, inurl etc works.  Also if you are using Firefox  open the history sidebar to see last 7 days browsing history

Much better then being promiscous about bookmarking everything in sight.

Code Monkey
Thursday, July 01, 2004

I invited myself and created an "Idea Library" type account.  Any ideas that come to mind (of any kind, project, algorithm, you name it)..over the years, they'll add up, easily searchable...

GiorgioG
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Ah! But Google is now in the hands of the money changers and TSLPs. Can I trust them anymore with my favourites? :-P

Thursday, July 01, 2004

>Any ideas that come to mind (of any kind, project, algorithm, you name it)..over the years, they'll add up, easily searchable...

Now that is a good idea although I would be worried about   

My idea was to email the photos I took as attachments with the subject of the email being the caption. I then just label every photo with the appropriate keyword (like EXIF data) and voila an online photo album :-) I do wish though that Gmail gives some kind of API which one can control and trigger when an email comes which allows one to attach labels automatically and change things like email date etc...

Code Monkey
Thursday, July 01, 2004

"I you have a 400K favorites list you are beyond help.  I think you do not exactly get what "favorites" mean. "

Code Monkey - favorites, for some of us, are links that we found after a *lot* of time spent on searching. Most of my links (on the order of 200K as HTML) took me *quite* some time to find.

Maybe Google is omnipotent when it comes to finding trivial information - but there's a lot of rather tricky stuff.

Just experienced recently, in case you want to try: How do sampler2D statements in HLSL relate to texture stages? Can you force a binding?

That's nothing you look up in 4 seconds flat, and the search process yielded quite a few interesting links that I wanted to keep. What I *really* want though is a search on only web pages that are in my links, or priority for data that is in my linked pages.

Robert 'Groby' Blum
Thursday, July 01, 2004

I've often wondered when Google would come to the desktop. Bookmarks are a way of "tagging" parts of the web as interesting. What I'd really like is a tool which also knows what you hadn't tagged. Really personalized browsing. Perhaps something can sit in between the user and the web.

If this is true, maybe Google should work on the Mozilla browser, releasing apis so other browsers can use them too. I don't know why they haven't invaded yet via Moz. Perhaps that would invite faster retribution by Microsoft, so they're waiting a bit?

Tayssir John Gabbour
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Just experienced recently, in case you want to try: How do sampler2D statements in HLSL relate to texture stages? Can you force a binding?

Tried it....using "sampler2D HLSL texture binding" in google. Got 2 pages of results back in couple of seconds 

I understand that  you would want to preserve useful links but preserving all and sundry does no good...infact you might end up missing more relevant and fresher information which was indexed by google after your query....not to mention hoping that the links never expire or go stale.

Code Monkey
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Code Monkey:

Yes, you got two pages of links. However, none of them do contain the necessary information. If you follow links there a couple hierarchies deep, you find that information - but it's not available through google.

Robert 'Groby' Blum
Thursday, July 01, 2004

CTRL + I, rightclick, Search in IE
CTRL + B, type in your search term in FireFox
F4, type in your serach term in Opera

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, July 01, 2004

> sampler2D HLSL texture binding

Try searching for terms that have meanings in
multiple domains with a lot of content in each of
those domains. Google is almost useless for
a lot of searches.

son of parnas
Friday, July 02, 2004

>Try searching for terms that have meanings in
multiple domains with a lot of content in each of
those domains.

Been there...done that....got the results properly

>Google is almost useless for a lot of searches.

Nope the only thing you have to recognize is that no matter how overloaded terms are across multiple domains usually there always is some specific domain term which you can include in your search to filter out the others or exclude a particular one using +/- as options. If you want a more specific targeting you can even search a specific website

BTW also try  the "Similar Pages" option in google and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Don't blame the tool!

Code Monkey
Friday, July 02, 2004

Yah, searching in a browser is just one of those really weird things.  My dad, who is a really smart CS guy almost always has trouble finding something on the web.  He will look for hours and not get good results.  I will look for 10 minutes on the same topic and find what he wants.  I think computers are one of God's jokes.  You can see this same deal in here on JOS.  Some people can't get Word to ever work, some poeple never have a problem...  There are tons of examples.

Steamrolla
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home