Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Subversion-Tortoise equivalent for Linux

Hello !

We are using Subversion with Tortoise for our developpements on the Windows platform. Subversion is on a Windows-server.

I'd like to be able to use the same repository (on the Windows Server) with my Linux computer, but I didn't find anything equivalent to Tortoise on Linux (I've Redhat and Mandrake).

Do you know of anything equivalent or do I have to do everything at the command line on Linux ?

Thanks for your help !
Jerome

Jerome
Thursday, July 01, 2004

The Subversion home page links to Rapid SVN, have you checked that out? A svn-kioslave is in KDE alpha too, but you won't see it in stable for a while.

Jonas B.
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Yes, I've seen it, but I couldn't locate the binary files for RapidSVN !
When I go to 'download', and the 'bin', I see a list of files, but nothing named RapidSVN !

Did I miss something ?
Jerome

Jerome
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Jerome, assuming you have Red Hat 9 (and not Fedora), here it is:

http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/redhat-9.0/bin/rapidsvn-0.5.0-7013.i386.rpm
http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/redhat-9.0/bin/rapidsvn-debuginfo-0.5.0-7013.i386.rpm

Giovanni Corriga
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Thanks, but actually, I've Fedora core 2.

I tried to install the one you mention but I get an error (regarding a bad kernel version) during the installation....

I didn't find anything for Fedora core 2.....

Jerome

Jerome
Thursday, July 01, 2004

CVS

Matt H.
Thursday, July 01, 2004

>I tried to install the one you mention but I get an error (regarding a bad kernel version) during the installation....

I loves me some Linux.  It r0x0rs. 

Thursday, July 01, 2004

How come you can't use "regular text" for CVS tags -- no spaces, commas etc.?

Alex
Thursday, July 01, 2004

A Windows server and Linux on the desktop -- that's a bit unusual.  :-)

- There's RapidSVN.  It's not great -- it deserves its 0.6.0 version number.  There are several things it can't do, and many it can't do very well.  Often I'll keep it open in the back just to see the state of my repository or working copy (it's pretty good for that).

I'm running Debian, and it's part of Debian, so I can't really help you with the Redhat problems.  Sorry.

- I know somebody who's trying to put together some sort of SVN integration for Nautilus, which will probably look kind of like Tortoise.  Only, Nautilus seems to be changing how it does integration (moving away from bonobo?  I'm a bit out of the loop).  So I probably wouldn't hold my breath for this being usable too soon.

- Personally, I usually just use the command-line.  If you know CVS, it's generally very similar to that, and usually simpler where it differs.  It's not ideal, but it's not bad.  Read the SVN book, or at least keep it open in a browser window for the first couple days -- it's excellent.

happy SVN user
Thursday, July 01, 2004

see eSvn (http://esvn.umputun.com) - IMHO much better than RapidSVN

stranger
Thursday, August 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home