Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Drag and drop from File Explorer to IE?

I know that IE supports drag and drop, but does anyone know if it supports dragging files from Windows Explorer onto a textbox?

All the examples I find are dragging items from a webpage onto another control on the same page. I

Tada
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Reading my post, I realize I wasn't clear in what I was asking..

What I want to be able to do is open a File Explorer window, and select a group of files and drag those files onto a textbox on a web page, and have the textbox display the filenames of the files that were dragged to it.

These files would then be uploaded to the server. I can handle the file upload part, it's obtaining the names of the filenames through drag and drop that I'm stumped on.

Tada
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Take a look at shutterfly.com- when you add/upload pictures to an album, you can drag files onto an area to upload.  I havent ever looked to see what they are doing but it sounds like they are doing what you want (you can probably get some hints from viewing the source)

Mike

MikeG
Thursday, July 01, 2004

implement a DAV enabled folder, then use web folders? (may be very flaky but doesn't require installation on many users computers... but for those who do, or are behind restrictive firewalls, you're out of luck)

perhaps you can implement a droptarget in jscript, but probably not.

write an activex control. be very careful with security here.

mb
Thursday, July 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home