Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dashboard vs. Konfabulator

If any of you guys have been following this..here is an interesting article:

http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator

{via Kingsley Idehen}

Check out the stuff the Konfabulator guys do with JavaScript (for all you folks who have been talking about JavaScript)

Prakash S
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Storm in a teacup. One of the more interesting takes came from http://www.xpthemes.com/forums.asp?MID=19&CMID=19&AID=4472

"If I keep ripping out my hair I'll be bald in no time.  When it comes to getting press coverage in the tech industry, it's a lot easier to get it if you're a Mac program than a PC program. The Mac has always gotten far more attention than its numbers warrant. Often times, the media will actually make statements implying that a given program is unique to the Mac helping carry on the myth that the Mac is the land of innovation while Windows is the land of cheap knock offs.

This has always stung us at Stardock because we've come up with some really cool things over the years that are quite popular. And then the Mac will get something like it and suddenly something we've had for years will be treated as if it's the copy -- complete with Mac fanatics attacking us for copying their stuff. ..."

pretty cool stuff the DesktopX.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, July 01, 2004

yeah I was trying it out yesterday. Couldn't find a lot of widgets though!

Prakash S
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Widgets are in the "Gallery" section.

BTW, what about the JavaScript? Couldn't find anything special there...

Janonymous
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Oh you meant DesktopX. No, indeed, looked at that before - just "eyes"... :-D

Janonymous
Thursday, July 01, 2004

The DesktopX folks look like they were the unfortunate victims of a few loud-mouth Mac users.  Every group has them, and they're not representative...

Still, I think Apple was the innovator here.  They actually used shadows to accomplish something: they used it to get rid of the window borders.  The DesktopX shadows look like just a gee-whiz feature: you don't get any more space on your screen for using them.

From the screenshot, I also notice that they disable shadows when moving/resizing windows -- probably because they don't have the graphics engine that the Mac does (windows aren't GPU-accelerated on Windows).  So it's a gee-whiz feature that disappears sometimes, or provides noticable slowdown...

I also notice their shadow style(?) is called "Darwin" (the codename for the Unix which Mac OS X is built on).  Hehehe.

Shadowy Figure
Thursday, July 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home