Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best Freeware Bug Database

Hey everybody,

Any recomendations on a good freeware bug database, that runs on Unix?

I'd rather use FogBugz, but my cheapo-ass company won't pay for it. "Use something open-source", they say. Bah.

Thanks in advance.

Mtl_Dev
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Wait for the bug tracker Microsoft is building and then run it on Mono.

name withheld out of cowardice
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I once saw a recommendation for Mantis at osnews.com:
http://www.mantisbt.org/
I haven't tested it, though.

Dewd
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Bugzilla

Jack Squat
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Mantis

_
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Jitterbug is great, very simple w/o the bloat of bugzilla.

RealBaconIsFlat
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Write your own.

son of parnas
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

+++I'd rather use FogBugz, but my cheapo-ass company won't pay for it. "Use something open-source", they say. Bah.

Thanks in advance.+++

Make sure you let us know when the piece of crap your company is developing is released so that rational people can avoid it.  A "cheapo-ass" software company or developer unwilling to spend a hundred bucks on so critical an aspect of their developmental process is one to be avoided at all costs.

Wednesday the 30th
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

bughost.com

Mr. Analogy
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

"Use something open-source", they say. Bah.

Yep, and there in a nutshell is why I'm not convinced open source (as in free) is a good thing. 

For every struggling independent developer who needs a free tool, some big cheap-ass company saves thousands of dollars using that same tool rather than paying a fair value for it that would have helped support someone writing similar software for a living.

Chris Kessel
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Right guys, open source software is horrible.  But what happens when the cheapo software company is locked into the open source bug tracking software and they need some new features?

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

>But what happens when the cheapo software company is locked into the open source bug tracking software and they need some new features?

That's why I said open as in free is bad.  Open as in available is good.  As purchasers of the software, having the right to modify that software for personal (internal in a company) use is important.

Simply giving away the software kills those that are trying to do it for a living.

Open (as in free) isn't much different than me going to your boss and saying "Hey, I'll do his job for free in my spare time.  I've got a real job, and I'd enjoy doing this other job as my hobby at no charge."

Open (as in available) is entirely different.  That's stating that with the right to run the software, I also purchase the right to modify the code for my own needs (but not to redistribute it).

Chris Kessel
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

a company not willing to spend $100 on something critical is to be avoided... dang, i wonder how come so many companies that do that aren't avoided??

Devin
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Well, $99 is for the single user pack.  Mtl_Dev didn't mention how many users he's got.  (And I didn't know about the new pricing scheme, for $99, maybe I'll be using FogBugz on my next paid software project, and from there, on updates to old ones...)

I'd guess you've got dead time that your boss wants you spending "productively".  Roll a simple 1-table database based on Joel's recommendations here:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/printerFriendly/articles/fog0000000043.html

and here:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/printerFriendly/articles/fog0000000029.html

Brent
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Chris:  better not start throwing in new terms for old meanings.  GNU uses the term "free as in beer" to represent what you call, "open as in free".  They use "free as in speech" for "available". 

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/moglen-harvard-speech-2004.html

OSI/ESR would use the terms gratis/libre.

sd
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

>OSI/ESR would use the terms gratis/libre.

Thanks.  I knew the beer one, couldn't remember the other...brainfart.  So, using that terminology, I'm all for "free as in speech", but have serious reservations about "free as in beer".

Chris Kessel
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I use Mantis and it's not bad.  There are of course a lot of features we simply don't use and thus ignore.  Seems to run fine and we haven't run across any bugs.

saberworks
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Check out FlySpray - it's pretty good.

http://flyspray.rocks.cc/

TheGeezer
Thursday, July 01, 2004

mantis

lumberjack
Thursday, July 01, 2004

pick something that sucks.  give the shits their money's worth.

badger
Thursday, July 01, 2004

We've used mantis in several different projects with different companies relatively successfully .. as someone mentioned earlier, you can just disregard the portions of it you don't need.

jedidjab79
Thursday, July 01, 2004

I worked in quite a big company with lots of money.  It had a lot of red tape.

Anything under £2000 really wasn't worth trying to buy - it was more paperwork than it was worth.  We used to buy those kind of things on credit cards and issue expense claims upon them, instead of p reqs.

Anything over £10000 or so needed my manager's manager to sign, so really wasn't worth trying to buy either..

Not all companies give all employees company credit cards, or have faith their boss is going to accept the claim etc.

i like i
Thursday, July 01, 2004

I've been using Mantis for a few weeks now as my hosting company does not support java/jsp like I can locally.

I found Scarab (java/jsp-based) to be incredibly flexible to the point of not being useful when you first install it.  You have to build up all your fields and type of tickets, so it takes some planning and thought in advance and then before you can use it.

Mantis, on the other hand, has a bunch of stuff pre-defined and allows for additional stuff to be defined pretty quickly.  I'm rolling it out to my development group in about 15 minutes.

KC
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Unlicenced copy of FogBUGZ?

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Painless Software Schedules
Painless Bug Tracking

Was Joel a dentist in a previous life?

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Sheesh, remind me never to ask for recommendations for FOSS on JoS...

Anyway, I looked pretty seriously at Flyspray, Mantis and Bugzilla.  FWIW, here are my observations.

Bugzilla seems to have more features than a small shop would need and has a complex interface compared to the others.  Think of it in terms of the scope and complexity of the Mozilla project.  I think it's also written in Perl, so if PHP is preferable to Perl, continue on.

Mantis is more customizable than Flyspray, but has a butt ugly and less intuitive UI.  Flyspray seems pretty focused on what it does and doesn't do--enough flexibility to do what you need, but doesn't try to do everything under the sun.  The UI is pretty clean and functional.  Both of them are written in PHP and use MySQL for the data store.

We were using the trial version of FogBUGZ and liked it so we narrowed our choices to it and Flyspray.  FogBUGZ had a few more features, but its advantages weren't significant enough over Flyspray for our purposes, so we went with Flyspray and haven't had any complaints.

OffMyMeds
Friday, July 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home