Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Electronic Whiteboard

As the result of having 2 development offices, I'm having to do more and more work with developers in FL (I live in NJ).  Since I consider a whiteboard indispensible to getting my point across to my team, does anyone know of a good electronic replacement, something interactive that allows remote team members to see just like a local whiteboard?

GML
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I've seen products that do this, but hell if I could name the companies that produce them.

One particularly interesting product was a scanner sort of device that you placed on one end of the whiteboard, that would run the entire height of the whiteboard.  As you draw, your marks are loaded into some sort of whiteboard software which can be shared over a network.

What would be truly nifty is some sort of projection system that allows truly interactive, networked whiteboards the same size as conventional ones.

But in answer to your question I have absolutely no clue where to find one.  Try google.

:)

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

http://www.mimio.com/

GiorgioG
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Have you heard of DENIM?

It's a freeware app developed by useability folks at a university.

It lets you sketch out a website, and link pages to one another.  While not a white board, I've considered it for this application.

Also, have you tried MSN Messenger? It has a whiteboard, app sharing, etc. And it's free. 

Mr. Analogy
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Scott Ambler, of "Agile Modeling" fame, recommends using a digital camera to take a picture of a white board, then send the picture (and put the picture in the documentation, if it seems useful enough).

I know this is kind of a 'poor-mans' electric whiteboard.  What you're really asking for is a white-board that both sides can draw on, even though far apart.

Seems like a cool idea...

AllanL5
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

We had a mimio at our last office - it seemed to work pretty well, although a lot of people just couldn't be bothered to set it up and use it.  If you want to go for the digital camera route I've heard good things about this: http://www.pixid.com/products/wbp.asp

r1ch
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

make a photo with digicam

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

MS NetMeeting has a whiteboard component bundled as well. You can use text/voice/video for comunication plus file sharing and remote control of the other PC.

KayJay
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I thought the whiteboard widget in Net Meeting had been removed. 

A couple of times about 5 years ago I used Net Meeting to share a paintbrush app and used that to sketch.  It worked ok, but then support seemed to disappear and I haven't tried to find an alternative since.

Hmmmm, someone could do a virtualised Scribble.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

WIN-R --> conf --> Enter ; on WinXP SP1. Whiteboard's there.

It is pretty all right. But over dial-up one tends to lose data.  Last I used it was over 2 years ago.

Also if you can lay your hands on one of the earlier DirectX SDK (I think it was 7, maybe 8) you will have sample code that duplicates NetMeeting.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I have not had much success with using the MSN whiteboard widget.

However, there is a Doodle application (one of their invironment) in Yahoo messenger. Works very well as a basic whiteboard. Use it all the time for remote collaboration. In pretty much every IM meeting, something comes up that needs to be drawn out. This launches with one click, is easy to use. Its great.

rashmi
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I've heard good things about http://www.e-beam.com/

Bubba
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Thanks for the comments.  I'm really looking for something that people on both sides can collaborate on in real time, so digital photos are out, and e-beam allows only 1 site to actually work on the drawing.

I'll look into messenger and net meeting.

GML
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Instead of trying to make a real whiteboard work ('cause those implementations are generally awful), why not get a virtual online whiteboard going?
Our solution is http://www.livemeeting.com/ and there are others out there that allow various people who are geographically separate to collaborate on the same virtual document.

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home