Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What we want, what we really, really want

With apologies to the Spice Girls for mis-quoting their lyric, I'd like to start a comprehensive list of features that everyone would like to see in order to better support web applications.

I've seen a lot of people have a lot of ideas on this topic and I think it'd be useful to draw together the various ideas in a single thread.

Disclaimer: My business is almost entirely based upon creating web applications, so I have an interest in this. I must say, I've found it is usually possible to do most things, though it can be a lot more effort than you'd want.

Anyway, if anyone would care to add any suggestions for what they want to be able to do, I'd appreciate it.

Over to you...

Steve Jones (UK)
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Probably you should start a wiki on the topic; that way the inforation organizes itself.

Suggestion
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

All these wish lists are very nice and all, but what we are going to get is
a) some insane SVG / XML / JavaScript based abomination supported in lots of browsers that 'no one' (in Joel's sense of 'no one') users
AND
b) Avalon

I recommend that everyone lies down in their own personal darkened room until they are at peace with this.

Harvey Pengwyn
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

s/users/uses

Harvey Pengwyn
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I want one of these 30" displays :)

http://www.apple.com/displays/

FG
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

It won't be a darkened room if you have a 30 '' Apple display in it. Only last week I was crashing on the floor of a room with a twin CPU G5 and an ernormous apple LCD and had to cover up various softly glowing things on it.

Harvey Pengwyn
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I guess I would want HTML code like this:

<form name="example">
  <input type="text" name="phone" type="telephone_number" />
  <select name="country" type="country" show_first="Canada,USA">
    <!-- Autofills with countries -->
  </select>
  <input type="text" name="due_date" type="date" format="YYYY-MM-DD" />
  <input type="submit" validate_locally="true" />
</form>

The drop-down would be automatically filled with all the countries, with Canada and USA displayed first. When the user will press submit, the local browser will check if the phone number is ok, and if the date has the YYYY-MM-DD format. If everything is fine, it submits the form.

That would remove a lot of boring data-validation code.

Of course, this is not an exhaustive list, just to give an idea!

Eric V.
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

And where does the browser get its up to date list of countries and the validation rules for phone numbers from?

Harvey Pengwyn
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I want something like this

<form name="Real_Easy" type="Addresses">
    <!-- Autofills with all the requisite controls for countries, ZIP codes, phone numbers, multiline text fields for addresses, email addresses, etc. etc,  -->
  <input type="submit" validate="auto" />
</form>

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

As a web browser user, I want companies to be able to load programs on my machine without my permission, extra windows that pop-up when I close one, dialog boxes that ask me if I'm sure about leaving a web site, features that allow companies to track my browsing patterns, web pages that try to set my home page, or add themselves to my favorites, and new windows that pop-up that change my preferences for me (like removing the status bar at the bottem, even though I just turn it on)...

Oh... Wait... that's what I want as a company writting web pages, not a user.  Why is it that most "features" that get added to browers sold to the USER are designed for people connecting to your machine, not the person who buys the software?

Steamrolla
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

--
And where does the browser get its up to date list of countries and the validation rules for phone numbers from?
--

Via software updates. When people use browsers, they're connected to the Internet. Also, it's not like there are a lot of changes in the countries and in the format of a phone number.

Eric V.
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Resolution-independent font and image sizes. Be able to specify a specific physical point sizes for fonts (not pixel size), and width/height of images in inches/cm/points. Images should be bilinear or trilinear-filtered when resizing. This way the web page will look essentially the same on a 15" monitor set to 1400x1050 (my Dell laptop's resolution) as it would set to 800x600 (although with differences in clarity only).

Derek
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

"--
--

Via software updates. When people use browsers, they're connected to the Internet. Also, it's not like there are a lot of changes in the countries and in the format of a phone number. "

I bet the phone number format algorithm changes daily :-)
Actually, I have never seen any software that validates phone numbers outside the US (nnn) nnn-nnnn format.

Harvey Pengwyn
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I would like a way, using HTML, to access Direct3D, DirectDraw surfaces, the Win32 API, and kernel-mode device drivers.  On non-Windows machines, these would be emulated with Java.

This would allow the development of some awesome web apps.  In fact I'm not sure you would even need the web.

Web dev
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Can you imagine the viruses and worms that would exists of html could have access to the win32 api?

Matthew Lock
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Not only can I imagine it, I even have a name for it. ActiveX.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Why would you want to validate a phone number? What are you going to do with it?

FG
Saturday, July 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home