Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Migrating mail from Eudora to Outlook

A couple of days ago I was complaining that I couldn't migrate my mail from Eudora to Outlook 2k3 without losing the attachments.

After opening an IMAP mail account, something struck me. Just set both apps as IMAP clients and use the mail server as a middleman between both mail boxes. Basically, drag from Eudora to IMAP to Outlook.

It'll be tedious, but at least I won't lose my attachments anymore.

RP
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Why would you want to migrate from Eudora, a solid and mostly secure application, to Outlook?

Have you tried Thunderbird lately, or The Bat, maybe even GMail if you can find an invite?

MS does have one decent mail client. It's called Entourage 2004 and is only for OSX.

Bobo
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The only problem I've had with IMAP mail migration is that the transfer is *slow*.  1000 messages can take several hours, and if you're transferring attachments, it gets worse.

Ankur
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Eudora's IMAP support is definitely less than stellar.

RP
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I have time. One contact a day.

RP
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

But then, it doesn't seem like _any_ e-mail client ever got IMAP right :-)

Fred
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

"But then, it doesn't seem like _any_ e-mail client ever got IMAP right :-) "

Agreed, but the Eudora implementation is particularly hideous. 

Jon Lindbo
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

"But then, it doesn't seem like _any_ e-mail client ever got IMAP right :-) "

Mulberry did.

Bubba
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Does Mulberry offer full support for disconnected mode, ie. with no network connection, you can create e-mails, move or delete some, create/rename/delete folders... and once you're back online, all this work will be replayed on the IMAP server?

Fred
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

yes.

Bubba
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Outlook Express:
Import from Eudora
Export to Outlook

Andrew
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

That's what I did. The messages went in ok, but the attachments weren't transfered.

RP
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home