Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

IMAP host reccomendations?

Hi All,

I've always used POP email servers, but the idea behind IMAP sure appeals to me as I switch between computers so often.

Can anyone recommend a good IMAP email host? Any other tips/tricks?

Thanks,

--Josh

JWA
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I've had good luck with pair.com, though recently my SpamAssassin has been flagging in effectiveness (haven't had time to investigate why). Pair also has IMAP-based Webmail, which is convenient when traveling because it means not doing to POP download business. (Maybe lots of other places have this now; it's been years since I shopped ISPs.)

I have no affiliation with pair other than as a satisfied customer.

Oh, Outlook's IMAP support is, um, less than ideal. It may be advisable to consider alternative clients.

John C.
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I use www.fusemail.com and I am quite happy with it. Try their 30 day free account.

RP
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I like FuseMail, too, but their webmail system is pretty buggy. It's usable, but it will be frustrating.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Amen to that. But they're working on it.

RP
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

If you're Linux/FreeBSD savvy why not setup your own mail server? Getting a hostname + virtual server from someplace like JVDS [1] is pretty cheap. With that you can setup an IMAP server (my preference is Cyrus, but there are a few out there) and SMTP server on your own "machine" with full control. Add in a web server with Squirrelmail (simple, very easy setup) and you're set. You can setup backups to a local machine (tape drive, extra hard drive, whatever) with rsync pretty easily as well.

Then you can handout email accounts to friends who are tired of being 'somedude8192@hotmail.com' and who don't know someone with a gmail account :-)

[1] http://www.jvds.com/
(I haven't used their services, but they seem pretty clueful)

Chris Winters
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I use prominic.net for imap hosting.  Works well.  Has web interface. $4/month for 100mb

Steve
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Try CommunigatePro.  I've switched from squirrel mail to CGPro on my private server and 3 months ago here at work.  You can download the open-ended trial (it prefaces every email sent with *this email was sent with the trial version of Communigate Pro*), but you can upgrade seamlessly. 

Also, it allows you to load Certs, so you can use secure imap (imaps on port 993) and authenticated SMTP, along with SSL enabled webmail.  All of the server configuration is done over a well-designed web interface with online help every step of the way.  The default web mail interface is ugly, but you can load yahoo, hotmail, outlook, etc., web skins. 

B
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I use Venkre Systems, http://www.venkre.com
They are new but very good and reasonably priced. I know the owners and they offer great support.
Just a thought if you don't want to set up all the stuff yourself.

my 2 cents
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I use www.jtan.com.

Very security conscious. Many access methods (shell, webmail, IMAP, ...). 1 Gig (for both web and email) for $120/yr.

Tom Mack
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

We provide that!
we have a nice plan of 1GB Storage, IMAP/POP access, including SSL connection, spamassasin and Webmail for $85/year.

Pablo M
Friday, July 02, 2004

Pablo,

Who is "we provide that?"  I'm following the topic but don't know who you are representing.

Brent M
Sunday, July 11, 2004

has anyone had any experience with http://www.fastimap.com ?

charlie
Sunday, July 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home