Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Book recommendations on Unit testing?

Hi,

Can any of your smart folks recommend a good, general book on AUTOMATED UNIT  testing?

Something that explains very well the general concepts that Junit, Dunit, etc. all of those "automated unit test" addins use?

I've seen one book that looked good (by the Pragmatic Programmer authors) but it's for C++.

Mr. Analogy
Monday, June 28, 2004

Kent Beck's "Test Driven Development: By Example"

Very hands on, with code in java and python.  A vey good intro.

Steve Monk
Monday, June 28, 2004

The book you referred to is actually for C#, but there's a Java flavor as well, if that appeals more...

http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/developers/starter_kit/ut/index.html

Jeremy Dunck
Monday, June 28, 2004

Ok, I'm going to be lame and recommend a book I haven't actually read yet. But it's by Alexei Vorontsov, and I'm a big fan of his, so I'm recomending it based on that.

Test-Driven Development in .net:
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735619484/002-6089105-0390421?v=glance)

With this, in addition to the above posts, you have examples in Java, C#, and Python. That should either cover your language of choice, or give you enough examples in different languages to let you get the idea of unit testing and then apply it to your own work in a different language.

Roman Zabicki
Monday, June 28, 2004

I can vouch that all three of those books are great, especially the Newkirk/Vorontsov book (two of the NUnit authors).

An additional one that does "live XP" with .NET is "Extreme Programming Adventures in .NET". I'm only about half way through the book, but I think it has a lot of value to people who want to see how XP might be applied to a real project, rather than just reading about it in the abstract.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, June 28, 2004

I'll second the recommendation of the Beck book.  I'm halfway through it now.

I also like "Test Driven Development"by Astels.

The Pragmatic Programmers also have a Unit Testing book out which I've heard some things about.

Finally, just about any book on Extreme Programming or Rapid Development will have a section on it.

KC
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home