Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Freelancing Sites

Anyone have any recommendations?

Not just for SWDev, but for testing, writing, etc.

Most sites seem to either lack listings, be a scam, or want $$ for membership.  In which case, I think they are often a scam.

I have lots of friends who are looking for work, and instead of saying 'google for freelancing', I'd like to send them to respectable, referred sites. I'm just asking if JoS people have had some good experiences, and if yes, where.  (Or if you know someone who did, etc.)

thanks,

Matt H.
Monday, June 28, 2004

If you freelance, just have a pizza party, invite 10 of your friends and agree to cross reference as long as everyone strives to not embarass each other by doing bad work. If you can't have 10 full time sales people working for you, that's the best backup. It's even okay for some of them to do the same thing, just figure out a way to keep it fair. In fact a simple web application allowing the 10 users to check in and track their "references" would help everyone figure out whether they have been fair in recommendations.

overweightnerd
Monday, June 28, 2004

How does that answer the question?...

...the guy doesn't have work.... just needs somewhere to throw his friends to get them off his back. :)

It would be handy to know. I'm indecisive about getting a coder to do some part-timish stuff to work on things. And having handy resources where I can scope things out would be... handy.

Arron Bates
Monday, June 28, 2004

Heard good things about RentACoder.com 

They have a lot of articles to help teach purchasers how to document their requirements, etc. which may go a long way toward helping the coders' work a lot easier.

I'm considering using them (to find a programmer)

Mr. Analogy
Monday, June 28, 2004

I've worked and posted on Rentacoder.

No matter which side you're on, make sure you have your requirements pretty clearly developed.

I had a jackass that kept my work at 99% complete for a month just because he wasn't happy when I refused to complete additional requirements that weren't agreed on in advance.

The developer I worked with was pretty good.  Documentation was good.  I had to tweak some of the code to work with our local systems, but I expected that.

It's hit or miss.

KC
Monday, June 28, 2004

KC, what options do you have when someone does that 99% trick to you? Rentacoder looks like it's totally skewed in favor of the buyer, and it seems like you have to go along with an unreasonable buyer unless you want your rating screwed.

Maybe I'm overestimating the importance of a rating?

Tayssir John Gabbour
Monday, June 28, 2004

I'd use rentacoder, but it seems to be over run with coders based in india which puts me off. I have nothing against them, I just dont want to have to compete on price. It would be good if there was a site focused on some folks more local, but that is not very likely

nakedCode
Monday, June 28, 2004

I just let the person know that I'll score them as a "1" and offer to get arbitration involved.

Since they have to put the money in escrow, it's already spent, so it's pretty effective since a single score below "4" essentially kills their account.

KC
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Hello Friends,

You can go through the list of Freelancing sites available at http://www.cityitsol.com/freelance.php and these sites have projects on almost all categories.

You will find lot more abt them when you start exploring these.

Good Luck to you.

Tony

Tony
Monday, July 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home