Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Fear of computer upgrade

I'm planning to upgrade my computer to a beast machine. My computer is enough for me to do my work: create websites and windows programming. But I dream about a beast machine and accessories which would allow me to:

- have four operating systems (XP, 2000, Linux and BeOS)

- play the latest games (Battlefield, Doom, CS, Fifa, etc)

- edit family videos and digital photos

- get TV feeds and act as a PVR

It seems like a champ. My only fear: with a powerful computer capable of doing so much cool stuff, I may never get any work done! This is the same reason Iavoid buying PS2! Productivity or fun, tough choice! :-)

Mauricio Macedo
Monday, June 28, 2004

I make a rule for myself....

Whenever I'm working on an important project, I uninstall *ALL* games from my computer.  It sucks, but it helps keep me focused for the duration.

KC
Monday, June 28, 2004

Hoping that Be can support your new machine.

It's like trying to get OS/2 to work on recent machines - owww.

Aaron F Stanton
Monday, June 28, 2004

Why not just buy 4 computers?

Devin
Monday, June 28, 2004

I used to have the 4 computers.  That was when I lived in an apartment that didn't have a seperate electric bill.

Now that I pay my own electric, I use 1 machine other than my web server.

KC
Monday, June 28, 2004

Besides that, I start to throw away electricity. I used to have a computer powered on just to play mp3s... Why didn't I do that in my machine? To save CPUs, or to not have another application running (even on the tray), or because I didn't have winamp on that machine, with the skin I donloaded for the other, or another nonsense excuse I had at the time. :-)

For now I will stick to playing GTA at home, and Battlefield at lan houses. My GTA version at home is a 5 minute demo, with assures I won't be playing for a full hour, as I do with Battlefield. Man these things are productivity killers! Don't even get me started with photo and video editing.

Mauricio Macedo
Monday, June 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home