Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

I am starting a new job tomorrow...

I have been off for a few weeks, and now I start a completely new job.

I am dreading the weeks or even months it will take before I get up to speed, and back to my usual productivity.

Also, this company has 1000 employees, and the largest company I have ever worked for had 50, so this is a big jump for me.

Any pointers?

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Sunday, June 27, 2004

Keep a timesheet of what you're doing. Entires such as "1 hour - talk with HR" and "3 hour - read company documents on topic X" count as productivity, IMO (provided that they are eventually followed by entries such as "determine requirements", "define design", "define schedule", "finish coding", etc etc).

Christopher Wells
Sunday, June 27, 2004

The hardest thing I've found is determining who does what, who is responsible to whom, and figuring out how the whole company works.

I suggest brown bagging it and try eating lunch with different groups every day.  The more people you can connect with the better off you'll be and the more information you'll come in contact with.  Good luck.

Lou
Sunday, June 27, 2004

I worked for a huge company once and they spent more time on management hierachy graphs and misson statements than on producing anything. Enjoy watching the grass grow.

Tom Vu
Sunday, June 27, 2004

Be nice. Be helpful. Be warm. Don't yell. Don't spit. Don't
be weird. Be modest. Listen more than you talk.
Don't think the worst even if there is ample evidence.
Give things time. Be patient with yourself and others.
I would say be quick to take the blame and even quicker
to give the credit to others, but that may be
asking a bit much.

son of parnas
Sunday, June 27, 2004

Don't believe bad things people say about other people unless you see those things firsthand.

Kyralessa
Monday, June 28, 2004

"I would say be quick to take the blame and even quicker
to give the credit to others ..."

Spoken truly by someone who has never worked in a large corporation.

Tom mostly got it right.

Canuck
Monday, June 28, 2004

What Lou says is important. Often the most friendly people are the outcasts who are looking trying to get you on their side first. Be friendly to everyone but don't get drawn into any cliques.

Anony Coward
Monday, June 28, 2004

> Spoken truly by someone who has never worked
> in a large corporation.

Sorry, i've worked at several very large companies.
I'll go toe-to-toe with real world experience with
anyone.

Your rule would be: backstab, take credit for anything
you can, blame others for everything, do nothing.

No matter how badly you have been hurt, you still
have a choice of how you act.

son of parnas
Monday, June 28, 2004

"Don't be weird."

Damn, that explains a lot of my life.

Steve Barbour
Monday, June 28, 2004

When working at large companies, many people maintain a "business persona" which is entirely different than their normal persona. It sounds very strange at first, but it also helps them keep the inane stresses of the office from affecting the rest of their life. Keep in mind that these people simply will not be all that friendly, and don't worry about them.

(My ex-boss's business persona had exactly two personal details...)

You might want to adopt a business persona yourself. I heartily recommend carefully studying Phil Hartman's character on Newsradio, and adopting that as your business persona.

Gustavo
Monday, June 28, 2004

I have 10 years of professional experience, but I've only worked at one company that was 350 people +/-.

I'll second what Tom said. Watch your back, keep your nose clean (the mole that sticks his head up out of the hole gets whacked), learn who you need to have lunch with.

not mr. johnson
Monday, June 28, 2004

Tom got it right.

Like someone else said too, don't get drawn into little cliques, and don't believe a bad word about anyone until you have met them.

Oh yeah, take the new guy approach to challenge old ideas....  "You are not trying to break down their old walls, or challenging their authority, you are only trying to learn!"

Tapiwa
Monday, June 28, 2004

You also have to remember that most businesses assume that you'll have a period of adjustment when you join up.

Because everybody does.

Flamebait Sr.
Monday, June 28, 2004

Grab your shoelaces, and just try to relax. It makes things more pleasant for everyone...

Howard the Coward
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home