Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Ending the process under Windows

Hello,

I have a problem with an application. When I close it, it stays resident in the memory and causes a crash of my machine (Windows 2000 boots again) a few minutes later. I've tried to right-click the process in Task Manager and to end it with the "End Process" option but it still stays in memory. When I try to end it again, W2k says "Access denied". A few minutes later, my machine crashes. Next thing I've tried was PsKill (from sysinternals.com) but it behaved just like Task Manager (process killed, it stayed resident, kill again, "Access Denied", crash).

Do you know some application I could use to try to kill it?

NNL
Friday, June 25, 2004

Are you doing "end process" or "end process tree".  If you're just doing "end process" try right-clicking on on the application and select "go to process". Then, right-click on the process and select "end process tree".

Yet another anon
Friday, June 25, 2004

I've tried both "end process" AND "and process tree". But I don't have the option "go to process".

NNL
Friday, June 25, 2004

"go to process" is on the context menu only when you're in the Applications tab and you right-click on the application.  This is handy when you're not sure what the parent process is for an application.

Yet another anon
Friday, June 25, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion but "go to process" option points to the application I’m trying to end with "end process". "go to process" -> "end process tree" still crashes the machine :(((

NNL
Friday, June 25, 2004

check if drwatsn32.exe is running, maybe program is stalled in debugger

Maybe This?
Friday, June 25, 2004

Try running Tasklist and Taskkill from a Command Prompt and see if it returns any useful error messages.

Taskkill/? for options

Saturday, June 26, 2004

Dr.Watson is not running :( so no process is being debugged. Unfortunately, tasklist and taskkill are WinXP/W2003 Server commands (but I still don't think they'd help). Or should I copy them from my W2003 Server VM?

NNL
Saturday, June 26, 2004

i have a small program that runs task manager with privileges to kill any programs (including services).

http://www.michaelmoser.org/progs/dbug_supermgr.htm

Michael Moser
Saturday, June 26, 2004

I'm starting to remember why I wish I didn't have to use Windows.

dot for this one
Saturday, June 26, 2004

Could you share the name of the application? I have never had Win2K crash on be when I ended a task. This might be a special case.

Raj Chaudhuri
Sunday, June 27, 2004

If you have Visual C++ on your machine, you can debug the process and then stop the debugger.

Of course, this is very tedious.

Furious George
Monday, June 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home