Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Comdex

Comdex was cancelled. This guy ( http://www.scaletrix.com/nuno/blog/2004/06/comdex-gets-cancelled-it-as-we-used-to.html ) says it's the end of IT as we know it. Coming to think of it, all the chaos of the 90's was like a supernova, where it shines brighter before fadding away.

Now, I realise that things will never be the same. But what do you think will happen next? Based on other industries (and I'm calling to all veterans of life on this forum) that were also commoditized, what's next? How low can we go?

RP
Friday, June 25, 2004

R.I.P.

Happy to be working
Friday, June 25, 2004

On the other hand...

http://www.cebit.de/homepage_e?x=1

Simon Lucy
Friday, June 25, 2004

I think things have certainly changed, not sure if for the worst though. In one hand large scale,high cost IT is disapearing, but on another it raises lots of opportunities for smaller players who have low-budget offerings that actually deliver value to businesses.

Diagio Dunal
Friday, June 25, 2004

This has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the commoditization of technology.

The internet rendered COMDEX, and most trade shows like it (where physically touching the item or seeing it live holds little value), irrelevant, and it has been gasping for relevance for years. I went in 2000 (I think. Maybe 99), and while it was a huge show (that was the year when there was a huge Linux area as well), it was just completely pointless -- wandering around listening to clueless demonstrators prattling on about products that I read in-depth information on months earlier, and entering a hundred contests to try to win freebies. Ah well I got to enjoy the fountains in front of the Bellagio. It hardly takes a genius to see that the on-request information delivery ability renders Comdex irrelevant.

Dennis Forbes
Friday, June 25, 2004

Dennis, you raise a good point, *but* you should note how the big deals/negotiations that used to happen within conferences such as Comdex have mostly disappeared. And to some extent that was caused by the commoditization of  many aspects of technology -- the purchase cycle is much simpler and shorter, and therefore you don't need attendance to trade shows.

Jon Strain
Friday, June 25, 2004

Perhaps the industry is now too large to fit into a single Comdex: and so instead we now have several, smaller, more specialized conferences.

Christopher Wells
Friday, June 25, 2004

"*but* you should note how the big deals/negotiations that used to happen within conferences such as Comdex have mostly disappeared"

When COMDEX mattered, it made sense to arrange things around it -- "Let's meet up at COMDEX". Once COMDEX became a floor full of vendors trying to hock junk to small computer retailers (which I believe was the original role of it), the incentive to tie deals in with it dissolved.

Dennis Forbes
Friday, June 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home