Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New Lingo Beta

Last year this forum gave me useful feedback on Lingo, and I've implemented many of the suggestions. The main improvement is a Lingo class is no longer divided into separate sections. Hello World now looks like this:

Lingo 1 class HelloNew

public function main()
  code
    call Msgbox (Appname(), "Hello World")
  end function

end class

Previously there was an 'exports' section, followed by the 'contents' keyword, followed by the actual declarations. All constructive feedback is sincerely welcome - there is a download at http://www.lingolanguage.com and there's no registration or other trickery.

All the best

Bill Rayer
Thursday, June 24, 2004

I wonder about about all those tools that say no programming needed but still ship with a code editor and debugger.

somemorone
Thursday, June 24, 2004

'Sup Fools

No Programming Required!

Unless you want it to do something!

Mr. Fancypants
Thursday, June 24, 2004

A Windows programming toy language is a fine idea, but how can it be for both non-programmers and experienced programmers?  Anything that a non-programmer can use, I wouldn't want to create anything but toy apps in.

chickenLittle
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Who said 'no programming required', I didn't :)

This is a compilable language I've worked on for several years. The idea is Lingo is a VHLL with relatively high level commands. Eg it has preconditions, memory management, data types that map directly onto files etc.

It's a late beta and it should work properly. I wanted more feedback before unleashing it on an unsuspecting world.

Bill Rayer
Thursday, June 24, 2004

I'm sorry I took this sentence: Non-programmers who want to create simple programs. As for people that don't want to program.

somemorone
Thursday, June 24, 2004

The part in the FAQ about syntax changing rubs me the wrong way.  Don't good languages get augmented rather than have breaking "changes" which require an upgrade tool?

Thursday, June 24, 2004

"Don't good languages get augmented rather than have breaking "changes" which require an upgrade tool?"

No.

Almost Anonymous
Thursday, June 24, 2004

"A Windows programming toy language is a fine idea, but how can it be for both non-programmers and experienced programmers?"

They call this Visual Basic !

:) 

IUseVBandILikeIt
Friday, June 25, 2004

Bill, I don't have time to look at your beta, but I want to say you have my utmost respect for "walking the walk", for doing something you believe in and damn the critics.  What you're doing (have done) takes guts, determination, discipline and vision. It's 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, and in my book you add up to 100%.

Should be working
Friday, June 25, 2004

"What you're doing (have done) takes guts, determination, discipline and vision. It's 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, and in my book you add up to 100%."

Thank you very much - I like that.

When I began Lingo I had no idea of the amount of work required to get it to a marketable state. I guessed 2 years and I'm embarrassed to say how long it really took.

Bill Rayer
Saturday, June 26, 2004

Bill,

I think extra credit is due because you really did get it to a marketable state.  Not just the compiler, but also the docs and examples and tutorials.  You must have spent ages on all that not-sexy stuff.

Ged Byrne
Saturday, June 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home