Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Hotmail gets Hotter

Looks like hotmail will be jumping onto the gmail bandwagon, in 2 months time your hotmail account will be expanded to 250megs..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3835495.stm

Beating Yahoo's 100 megs storage. Don't you just love competition ;)

woohoo
Thursday, June 24, 2004

None of which is any better without IMAP or even some sort of a WebDAV addition that permits direct remote storage - email account doubling as an online disk.

KayJay
Thursday, June 24, 2004

With all that space, why won't they allow the option of online storage?.

Curious
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Advertising revenue, I would think. You won't see any ads moving files from disk to disk. The browser interface is a must for their business plan.

KayJay
Thursday, June 24, 2004

"With all that space, why won't they allow the option of online storage?."

Because it is all a marketing ploy. They don't want everyone to use that much space.

There'd be a world shortage of hard drives if Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc all bought enough space for their users.

Steve Jones (UK)
Thursday, June 24, 2004

But wont the equivelent be the inbox's will be flooded with spam so soon?. I think that means yahoo, gmail and hotmail better improve their spam filters, otherwise the hundreds of megs of space will be filled up very quickly.

Curious
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Since I got a gmail account a little over a week ago, I've had all of my regular email cc'd there by my mail server.  I use gmail as a way to check my home email from work now.

Anyway, gmail has the best spam filter I've seen.  About 40 spams a day, over 10 days, and I think 6 have gotten through.  No false positives either.

If it just starts to fill up with spam, I'll delete the spam.  At this rate I'd need 4,000,000 spams to fill my inbox.

Andrew Hurst
Thursday, June 24, 2004

I still don't understand people getting so much spam.  I get 0 spam.  None.  No spam filters, either.  I just don't get spam.

Don't use your email to sign up for stuff, or, if you must do so, then use a dummy account for those things.

I've given my email to Dell, Verizon Wireless, Monster, Stardock, and Google, and that's about it.

I get zero spam.  I have for years.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Thursday, June 24, 2004

hotmail still sucks.

Sassy
Thursday, June 24, 2004

"I still don't understand people getting so much spam.  I get 0 spam.  None.  No spam filters, either.  I just don't get spam."
Sometimes it can't be helped, your email might be placed on a forum, email forwards, directory listings, mailing list, website etc etc. The spambots will come and get them by hook or by crook.
In any case, if your email is so personal (and its not a hotmail one) that it doesnt end up being published at the above, then your from a rare breed. :)

Curious
Thursday, June 24, 2004

I subscribe to three perl mailing lists and my email is posted in plaintext on my website daily.

no spam.

:)

*watches as hoardes of jealous developers sign me up for spam*  ;)

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Thursday, June 24, 2004

A way to beat the spambots in your websites, is to write your email address like this..

</script>

<script language=javascript>
<!--
var showlink = "joe&#64;hotmail.com ";
var showname = "joe";
var showhost = "hotmail.com";
document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + showname + "&#64;" + showhost +
">" + showlink + "</a>")
//-->
</script>

Hey, it works for me :)

Curious
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Except spam harvesters have wizened up to that fact.

That is one of the reasons this board no longer shows email addresses, obfuscated or not.

Tapiwa
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Hotmail + Outlook works like IMAP well enough. And if you want to use it to store files as a sort of "remote disk", then all you have to do in Outlook is create a blank email and attach whatever files you want to store, and then drag and drop that email to one of your Hotmail folders.

Ankur
Thursday, June 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home