Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

flash based MP3 player - durable enough?

I'm itching to buy one of those 256MB flash based MP3 player - but not sure about it's durability/reliability.

Anyone here think the same with me? Is there any technology in the pipeline that will makes this flash based USB stuff more durable/reliable?

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Why don't you think it's durable or reliable? I have never had any problems with my flash based MP3 player.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Hi "Susilo Bambang Yuhoyono", are you real? Can you use your real name?

Anon from Singapore
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Because I've heard many stories that after 6 or more months suddently it stopped working - cannot be used anymore, cannot read and write to it anymore.

Which brand/model do you use Matthew?

Anon - of course I'm real - and I will become President of Indonesia on September, replacing the stupid and circled with corrupt crony of her wife Megawati.

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

As a category, I see no reason to think they wouldn't be durable. After all, hard disk based units seem to be surviving in the market place.

Of course various brands may do a better or worse job of system design, mechanical design etc.

sgf
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I have one of those old Creative Nomad IIs from 2001. Still worklng fine.

This baby: http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Nomad2/

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Flash mediums are generally rated take a fairly generous x times of writes per given bit (but limited). So if you overwrite the entire chip say 3 times a week, there's no reason why it won't last at least 1 year. It has no moving parts--another part. Day to day use will kill your mp3 player in the end.

MP3 devices (flash or not) are prone to damages from fairly common misuses: 1) kick or jerk the wires; 2) extreme g forces and drops; 3) extreme temporature changes stresses the contacts; 4) rain/humidity/sweat, few such devices are truely water resistent. A few models of MP3 players are more resistent to these abuses thanks to good design but they are the exceptions.

overweightnerd
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Are you sure they wear out that quickly? I use mine daily for the past 3 years with the same Smart Media card and overwrite it almost everyday - no problems so far.

This guy reckons more like 100 years for it's life: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=Xns90E4C9DC11935nntphomecom%4063.209.170.223

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I have a positively ancient EigerMan F20.  Works great, I'm listening to it right now.

Bob Riemersma
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Flash nowdays is rated at 1 million + erase/write cycles.  So if you completely update your player 5 times a day you get 200,000 days, which should be plenty.  Not to mention the 1M is a minimum, kinda like an F+ is the minimum grade required nowdays to get a high school diploma in this lame-ass state (sorry, hit a sore point).  Most devices last longer.

As for durability, do you really think a hard drive based player is more durable than flash based?

Snotnose
Thursday, June 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home