Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Access to SQL Server migration

I have an Access database (which runs in 100s of MBs) on the server and I want to move all its data to a SQL Server database. So, I'm restricted to do it entirely on the server.

One way is to retrieve the list of tables from the access database and copy each table to the SQL Server database.

Is there any other better way to do the same?

Remember, I have to do it entirely on the server. Access and SQL Server migration tools are not an option.

Green Pajamas
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

"One way is to retrieve the list of tables from the access database and copy each table to the SQL Server database."

Using ASP.NET, of course.

Green Pajamas
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

"Remember, I have to do it entirely on the server. Access and SQL Server migration tools are not an option"

What does that mean?  Do you have access to SQL Enterprise manager?  If so, just use the DTS wizard to import the tables into SQL server - just a couple of clicks!

DJ
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I agree, DTS is what you need. Very easy to use. But do check the field types after exporting as Access and SQL Server have different field types.

When i moved from Access to SQL Server, uhm maybe 4 years ago, there was a tool called Upsizing Wizard or something which you could use to migrate from Access to SQL Server. I don't know if Microsoft still offers this, either in Access or on microsoft.com.

http://sleepyhead81.blogspot.com

Espen Antonsen
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

You really need to explain more about what your constraints are? What tools can you use on the server? is this a one off migration or something you do regularly?

Harvey Pengwyn
Thursday, June 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home