Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why does Windows server degrade?

There was a recent discussion here about why windows clients degrade. Let's ignore that debate for a moment.

Why does windows server degrade? As of this morning, if you try to access a printer, windows (the client) spits out the wonderful message "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect." Nothing known changed on our network since last night. So why did it break? (Note: there is a KB article on this which seems irrelevant, and lots of posts from people who ran into this problem without fixing it.)

Is it normal to rebuild the entire Windows server/directory infrastructure ever 12-24 months too?

mb
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Nothing *known* changed on our network since last night.

Nuff said, don't blame the software yet ;-)

//\
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Pfft, I'd blame the software. Various desktops will intermittantly lose contact with the server and be unable to save open files or open any network shares, and this usually happens sometime after lunch when it happens. However, my single server runs not only as file server, but also as email and web server. Oddly enough, the clients can still access email and our website from that server when contact is lost.

Ankur
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Reminds me of one of the GNU Haikus:

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

(DISCLAIMER: This was intended as a joke, and its funny because we've all been there. I do not mean to imply that windows is worse than any other platform, nor that it is'nt. I do not take responsibillity for any feelings that may or may not arise in you [the reader] as a result of this post.)

Eric Debois
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

What happened to normal talk these days? Should there be a disclaimer for _everything_?

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

The disclaimer was sort of a joke too. =D

..sort of..

Eric Debois
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Ok, //\. You think something changed on the network. How do I find out what that was?

(I've tried to turn on auditing in the past but never got much good data, but that was years ago. The event viewer spits out some possible culprits, but all the issues it raises don't actually exist, though are certainly hinting at some other real issue.)

The entire config for this sytem should fit on a floppy disk. I'd love to just put it in source control, then run a diff from whatever the server has generated with what's been commited.

mb
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Is there any chance someone was doing some work in a parent domain that you wouldn't be immediately privy to?

I've worked with countless admins that were *positive* that nothing changed only for us to realize 2 weeks later that BOFH in corporate parent office #13 changed something and neglected to tell anyone...

Greg Hurlman
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

This is somewhat related to the discussion...

I have an XP machine in my basement that I use for PIC development and also has a big drive that I keep lots of stuff on.

I mostly use my main XP machine upstairs, and for some reason it suddenly got really slow. Applications would take forever to open. Photoshop would sit there for about 4 minutes every time I created a new image, etc.

Somehow my upstairs machine needs to talk to the downstairs machine constantly. It was down because I had water in the basement. When I got everything put back together and turned the machine back on, everything is fine with the upstairs machine.

I'm not sure what it's doing with the downstairs machine. Oh well.

Fred
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

You know this is why I (again) propose that MS changes somethings in Windows structure.

1. Windows directory readonly except for service packs. No installing third party anything even not MS anything, except something that is really the OS. So kernel, 2D graphics, filesystem, networking.

2. Shared directory. Dump here anything that needs to be in the path and be shared.

3. System Settings and Application data folder. configuration for those things and storage.

The rest is the same.

However now if Windows is acting funny just delete everything except the Windows directory. And when you reboot you will be introduced clean windows installation activation screen. Like a new install.

somemorone
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Fred -

If you have the basement hard drive mapped as an available drive on your upstairs machine, chances are that your upstairs machine is constantly trying to resolve the mapping.  Even though you may not be directly accessing it, the OS is trying to resolve all of it's drive mappings.  I'm not an XP guy, but I have seen this occur in a networked environment.

Jim L
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

See:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak153.aspx

Look at several other tweaks related to performance when cut off from network resources as well.

Preddie Frinze
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Ran a bunch of netdiag tools and rebooting the servers seems to have fixed it. No idea which really solved the problem, and we'll probably have a different problem in a few days. Perhaps it had nothing to do with the various error messages being spit out.

As for no changes, well no one here who could make a change claims to have done so.

As for the hang if your server dies, that's a classic Windows problem. You'll see the same thing if you take out a CD sometimes, Windows will ask for the CD over and over again.

mb
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Oh, and somemorone, the problem here isn't so much restoring Windows, you can ghost the initial setup. But all the data, including config data, since then would need to be reloaded, and that's probably what's corrupt. A lot harder on a domain controller than a desktop.

mb
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Fred:

Maybe this is can lead you to resolve your problem...

Take a look at the service "Distributed Link Tracking Client" which tries to keep all your shortcuts to file server files intact.

When the file server has trouble, maybe the client machine gets bogged down trying to keep the shortcuts refreshed.

Wolf
Thursday, June 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home