Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Centrino 2.0Ghz(Dothan) vs Pentium 3.4 laptop

Money is no object. What will you choose?
Centrino Pentium-M 2.0Ghz(Dothan) vs Pentium 3.4 (Northwood) based laptop?
The purpose is for development, small business management, multimedia, and occassional role-playing gaming.

Roland Festor
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Pick the one with the better screen and keyboard. If battery life is a big issue, the M likely lasts longer. Otherwise, you're not doing serious number crunching, so you won't notice the speed difference.

Mr. O
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The Centrino most likely runs cooler and therefore quieter so that's what I would pick.

Doug
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Are you going to travel with it. If so, get the Centrino. If you're basically just using it as a desktop replacement that will be running off the mains, choose the desktop chip.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Easy: get the Centrino. It is just as fast, while using a much less energy. The fan in my Centrino laptop is switched off 99% of the time. Silence is golden. And a 5 hour battery life is a nice bonus. I'm often am too lazy to plug the power cord in.

The only alternative I would consider is the new Athlons 64 mobile chips. They compile code at an amazing speed while still using little energy due to the Cool'n'Quiet feature.

Jan Derk
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I'd go with the Centrino. Someone in my office has just got a notebook with a standard pentium chip. The fan noise is pure annoyance.

el
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

i've got a Thinkpad Centrino wireless and works very good, soundless, quiet, wireless (3com adsl router 4 rj45 + wireless + firewall) and long time with batteries. even includes integrated keyboard lamp, double mouse system, IBM Access connection for change fast from one to other network, IBM Rapid Restore... a very nice product.

select by this order:
- centrino (2.0 if you've the money)
- integrated wireless
- 15 TFT 1280
- 512 minimum. attention if 512MB are using all the sockets, then 2x512 is the ideal.

Guillermo
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home