Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dell Computers

So what do you guys out there really think of Dell..as a company?

Am curious...

Beetle
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

When Dell is dealing with a small company (150 people), they really suck for sales support.

It's been better lately, but in the past we've had:

- rapid turnover of sales rep (every 4 months or less)
- incorrect order entry, e.g. we wanted to lease a computer from them, they entered it as a sale, then hassled us when we didn't pay
- slow response time when asking for quotes
- runaround when trying to order parts (you have to call this #, no this #, no your sales rep, no this #....)

We do get good prices even though we're small, and service has been generally good (getting a bit slower lately).

The products are about what you'd expect, good, reliable, stable (we are mostly buying laptops from them, Latitudes.)

Ward
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

As a lowly consumer, you cannot beat their Axim prices. How do they do it? Amazing!

m
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The company I work for has had the same problems as Ward. They don't treat small companies like they care, and yes, reps don't seem to last very long before they are promoted, transfered, or quit.

One of our neighbors is my company's previous rep, and she hated her job. Her husband also works at Dell, and he also hates his job. So does everyone else I've talked to that worked at Dell. No wonder their service is crappy!

sid6581
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

"- rapid turnover of sales rep (every 4 months or less)
- slow response time when asking for quotes
- runaround when trying to order parts (you have to call this #, no this #, no your sales rep, no this #....)"

These plagued us as well.  We now use IBM or CDW.

Mike
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I found their busuness sales guys to be entirely useless, so I bypass them completely now and order everything online.

I've been so impressed with the Dell hardware that I'd always use them as my first port of call (see exception in previous thread, re tablet PC).

I don't really care if I can get the "same" PC from a dodgy box-shifter for 10% less. I want to pay the extra 10% and know that the supplier will still be there in a couple of years time if something goes wrong.

My laptop died recently, after about two and a half years. It had a few months left on the on-site warranty, so I called them up. They came and replaced pretty much everything (motherboard, processor, graphics card, screen). Only the case and keyboard are original, so I pretty much got a new laptop.

The only issue I had was I had to speak to some idiots in an Indian call centre, to describe the problem, before they sent an engineer out.

Apart from that minor glitch, I love Dell.

Steve Jones (UK)
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I'll start by saying the hardware I've had from them has always been fine, but:

The online order process is terrible, why do they need so much information for an order.

Shipping is terrible, several times they have shipped multiple products when only one was ordered, I get charged for both then they drag their feet issuing a refund.

I can't understand anybody I speak to at customer service, can't they employ some people who speak English. When I do manage to communicate they make promises that are broken.

They continually deliver to the wrong address, every time I order I put my address in their system but it gets adjusted to another address in my town. If I try and get it corrected then I start getting multiple items delivered.

Technical support is unresponsive and lazy, they never bother to try and understand your problem, just shove it off to someone else.

I have been trying to get off their mailing list for two years without success.

So for me Dell has been terrible and I now pay more for my hardware and it get from someone who wants my business. I won't every buy anything from Dell again.

Tony Edgecombe
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

My only experience with Dell is as an individual consumer and for that they have been great.  I got a laptop from them a few months ago, which shipped promptly, ahead of when it was promised, arrived in pristine condition (the box wasn't even scuffed), and works great (well, as great as can be expected from Windows XP).

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

It's somehow reassuring to see that others have had similar problems with sales...

Re: Axim prices - I haven't looked at the Axims recently, but initially they were being sold at a loss.  They were able to keep the average price up by selling some of them at full price with the purchase of a computer but discounting the computer price.  We got two of the initial Axim X5s for CDN$100 along with a couple laptops.

Ward
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home