Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Induce Act - Shall we outlaw pen & paper?

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040618-3906.html

I'm European, but I don't doubt that whatever becomes kosher in the USA will cross the Atlantic sooner or later (e.g., the software patents idiocy seems to be well on its way), hence the "we" in the subject.

From what I understood, this is like putting someone in jail for murder because he happens to own some kind of implement that allows him to kill someone - be it a gun or a kitchen knife.

Now, if you think about it, a pen and a piece of paper can enable you to violate copyright. Should we ban these, too?

The most distateful part of it all, though, is when its authors claim they're doing it to stop "Child Exploitation".

Paulo Caetano
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Orrin Hatch is being more than a bit dumb on this one.

He's not the only one sponsoring this sort of crap.  Senator Fritz Hollings, the Distinguished Gentleman from Disney... er... one of the Carolinas does the same crap.

Kick them both out.

KC
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I never understand why people get so worked up about proposals from senile old Senators, which haven't even gone to committee? Stuff like that almost always gets rewritten, or just squashed and never gets to the floor.

Capitol Hill Larry
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

It is because people get worked up about it that things like this don't make it to the floor.  If we didn't scream and shout we'd all have to get little Mickey Mouse(TM) logos branded in our foreheads.

Steve Barbour
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The DMCA got passed.

An interesting link for everyone:

http://craphound.com/msftdrm.txt

KC
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

the DMCA law getting passed, and the subsequent arrest of Dmitry Sklyarov were IMO the lowest points in legislation.

Tapiwa
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

This is one place Adobe totally lost their mind.

christopher baus (www.baus.net)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"It is because people get worked up about it that things like this don't make it to the floor."

Exactly!

That's how we got the Patriot Act.  I think it was passed in the dead of night, certainly without much discussion from THE PEOPLE.

BTW, "for the children" is always the excuse given for horrible legislation.

As Chris Rock says "Feed Babies. Gotta feed 'dem babies. Who's gonna argue with THAT?"

Mr. Analogy
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"That's how we got the Patriot Act.  I think it was passed in the dead of night, certainly without much discussion from THE PEOPLE."

Uh... wrong.

It was passed in the middle of the day, discussed extensively and even co-sponsored by the Senate Majority Leader (Tom Daschle, D-SD at the time) and numerous other high profile people (Bill Frist R-PA, Hillary Clinton D-NY).

And the vote was something like 96-1.

It was passed when everyone was emotional after 9-11, it had nothing to do with "the dead of night".

KC
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I think the right term is Moral Panic.

How in the name of Zeus's butthole does one legislate Patriotism?

Tapiwa
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic
"A moral panic is a semi-spontaneous or media-generated mass movement based on the perception that some individual or group, frequently a minority group or a subculture, is dangerously deviant and poses a menace to society. These panics are generally fuelled by, although not always caused by, media coverage of social issues. A widely circulated and new-seeming urban legend is frequently involved. "

That laws like this keep getting passed is a sure sign that legislators should never be allowed to pass any laws.

Tapiwa
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Well my 2 cents gotta drop in. Personally I believe in intellectual property (lots of people don't) however I think Hatch et.al. are going to far and I'm going to investigage a bit further and make my voice heard to my congresmen/senators.

About the Patriot Act. Please. How many of us just listen to our favorite voices on both sides and parrot that. I went here http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/Terrorism/20011031_eff_usa_patriot_analysis.php as I really don't know what it entails but even that already starts out biased. Be nice to find a place which just stated the facts: here is what changed, prior, it was like this and then you decide the good/bad.

This Patriot Act barrage sounds like the people who complained we sent any troops to Afghan and then complained that we didn't have enough ... that we had a wall up between agencies and now we don't have any wall.

If anyone knows of a real objective review of the Patriot Act please let me know. I can tell you that I hope my government is going to the edge to protect the lives of my family.

me
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Wait, let me get this straight... the government is doing what is in the best interest of corporations?

m
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

>>"I never understand why people get so worked up about proposals from senile old Senators, which haven't even gone to committee? Stuff like that almost always gets rewritten, or just squashed and never gets to the floor."

Like the DMCA?

Like the copyright extension?

Made Up Name
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

It is doing what is in the best interests of SOME corporations.

Tapiwa
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

"If anyone knows of a real objective review of the Patriot Act please let me know. I can tell you that I hope my government is going to the edge to protect the lives of my family."

I suppose we all want to believe that. The problem is, as always, abuse. Governments have an awfuk track record, as far as abuse is concerned.

"Wait, let me get this straight... the government is doing what is in the best interest of corporations?"

Well, as Tapiwa said, it's trying to do what's best for some sorporations, in detriment of *everyone* else.

Paulo Caetano
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

There was an interesting programme on German TV the other day. They coloured a map of Europe showing which countries had been ruled by dictatorships in the last 60 years or so. I think there was only Britain and Switzerland that weren't coloured in. The point being that if those governments had had access to modern technology and the kind of information given them by the Patriot Act there would have been very little hope of them falling due to internal pressure (because those responsible would be rounded up before they could achieve anything). Many of those countries were democracies before they became dictatorships.

Of course, it could never happen in the USA.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

"[The Patriot Act] was passed in the middle of the day, discussed extensively [...]"

What's this I hear about the people in congress not actually *reading* the Patriot Act before voting on it?

What good is discussion about something if you haven't read it?  Did they simply discuss the name?  (Well, it's called the Patriot Act, so we'd better pass it.  We wouldn't want to be unpatriotic.)

Bill
Saturday, June 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home