Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

.NET book reccommendation

All

I'm about to start a new job, which will involve C# and ASP.NET development.  I have not had a chance to work with these yet, although I have played with the various betas over the last couple of years.

Can anybody reccommend a decent book or two to give me a bit of a headstart - perhaps one on the framework, and one on C#/ ASP ?

I'm currently a VB / SQL server developer with 8 years experience, but I've never really done any web development before.

Thanks

Matt
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

O'Reilly's .NET Framework should bring you up to speed on the workings of the framework.  It's got a great chapter on ASP.NET that's concise and clear.  good stuff.  It's not really in-depth, but will get you started in the right direction.

nathan
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I like Troelsen's C# and the .Net Platform. Covers a bit of everything.

Once you've polished of that one, Lowy's Programming .Net Components is good.

Jorel on Software
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The book by the other Jeff (Prosise) is a great intro to .NET for experienced programmers: Programming Microsoft .NET.  Plenty to get you going on ASP.NET too.

Brad
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I will have a look at those, thanks.

Are there any any particular recommmendations for C# books for those who *like* C++, program it in a memory-leak resistant, fairly modern style, and get rather put off by the anti-C++ introductions of some C#, and many Java books?

Tim

Tim Sharrock
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I doubt it.  Don't you know that non-GC environments hurt the GNP and contribute to global warming?

See "A Programmer's Introduction to C#".  $2 used on Amazon for 1st edition, and that's just fine to get started.  Read it in a night or two.

Brad
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

thanks - that one I have on my shelf!

Tim

Tim Sharrock
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I like "Learn .net and be in the 80% making 20% of the money" or something like that.

See the post about low .net pay rates.

Lemming
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home