Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What is Joel up to ?

This is an attempt to bring together all the various speculation across numerous threads. It is not a troll/flame, I'm just curious and I believe others may be too.

Any thoughts ?

Steve Jones (UK)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Why is everyone so concerned with what Joel is up to?  He writes bug tracking and web portal software.  So what?  Are you all fanboys or do you just live vicariously through him or something?

If you want the Bionic Office, the lifestyle, the adventure, go start an ISV and quit drooling over this one.

sheez.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"If you want the Bionic Office, the lifestyle, the adventure, go start an ISV".

Been there, done that.

Steve Jones (UK)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Steve Jones is obsessed with Joel. A crazed fan, if you will. No wonder Joel disappeared from the public view, the crazies are after him.

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Well, this IS 'Joel On Software', so naturally he would be a topic.

I can't figure it out either.  More than a month of silence, then 5 posts in a row, and now more silence.

He closed the 'ask joel' site, so we can't directly ask him questions anymore.  This Forum is supposed to be comments on his columns -- but he never seems to answer the comments.

It is fun, at times, but the two-way conversation never seems to develop.

AllanL5
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The time calls for a strategic retreat. We don't know how far this move by Microsoft hit the both of them. They retreated, they're currently regrouping and soon will come the counter-attack.

RP
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"Steve Jones is obsessed with Joel".

WTF !!!

Look in the mirror and you'll see the crazed one.

Steve Jones (UK)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Who cares?

While I don't always agree with him, I respect his opinion, but leave the guy alone.

Geez.

KC
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

the issue is that they failed to sell their companies to m$, and obviously they feel depressed because of years of work which lead to nowhere.

obviously they're so depressed because they didn't act as they published to us

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Joel's writing web portal software now?!

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

isn't CityDesk portal software?  perhaps I'm mistaken

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

in any case your comment amounts to petty semantics and isn't really very useful for much at all

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Jesus!  Some of you guys stalk Joel at every turn.  Get a life!

the real world
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"In any case your comment amounts to petty semantics and isn't really very useful for much at all"

It was useful enough for you to comment on. Twice.

;-)

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Holy poop!  Some of you guys are just nuts.  What the heck is wrong with wondering what Joel is up to?

Using me as an example, I'm not here because I heard that joelonsoftware.com's message board has the super-duper smartiest people in the world that post to it.  In fact, most threads started here are quite boring.

I visit this site, often, because of Joe's writing.  That's why I'm here.  That's why a lot of people are here.  Because of Joel.  Not because of the super-duper smarties who purposefully try to show how uninterested in Joel they are: "ahh who cares!  Leave Joel alone!"

So, if there's only a few people's blogs that I really care to read  ... like JOEL ... and if he goes a month without posting to his blog or writing articles or responding to questions (all things that I enjoyed), I'm going to miss that.  And no amount of threads from the super-duper smarties are going to make me not miss that.

Joel took on questions for a reason.  Joel wrote articles for a reason.  Joel blogs for a reason.  He wants people to read these things.  And I'm now one of the people that wants the information he puts forth.  So, when all of a sudden, it stops..for a period of time...how could you not be curious as to what is going on!?

On top of all that, when you read someone for years and listen to his feelings on many subjects, there must be something that you like about him.  Now Joel is in my personal space.  I reference him: "hey, you read that joel article".  I talk about him: "He's got a great office".  He's someone that I like.

So f all you posers who try to act all indifferent.

Super-Duper Smartie hater!
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

He's signed 132 contracts to write forewords for all sorts of computer books, from C# for grandmas to Coder to Developer.

He's a busy fella.

HAR HAR!

Oh yeah!
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

So I'm going to stand up and deliver my speeches, acting normal, while a bunch of bullies and whinies are booing me and picking on every second word?

I don't know about you, but when something is rotten at the office -- like there is a bully dominating everyone and somehow no one stood up to him -- I'm noit going to carry on as usual, pretending everything is fine. Everything isn't fine.

Alex
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I'm telling my mommy you big bully Alex.

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Oh Yeah,

Joel is paid to write forwards.  We get it already.

Just think how rich you would be if you were paid each time you made exactly the same point.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I can't imagine getting paid more than a couple hundred bucks, if anything, to write a forward for a technical book. Most those computer books you see in stores bring in about $10K or less to the author.

Mr. O
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Just a remark, someone said forewords are billed 15c to the word.

That's really not much. Translators get 10 to 20 cents to the word, and just making a living.

Alex
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Joel is writing software. The stuff he's doing now involves API's and web browsers. Seriously, how hard is it to connect the dots?

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

+++So f all you posers who try to act all indifferent. +++

err..?  Actually I come here to post questions and get answers from knowlegable people, and also to have a good laugh at some of the folks who post here, in particular the frothing sycophants.  I found this site through a link to the Bionic Office article, which was great, but since then, frankly, I've found Joel a bit arrogant for my tastes.  I'm always up for another tech forum, though.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

That's great Muppet.  That's YOUR reasoning.

So, why did you come in here to piss in the punchbowl of someone who is here to read Joel, and so they start a thread curious as to his lately random posting/writing patterns?

Ahhhh.  See I do have a point.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

but since then, frankly, I've found Joel a bit arrogant for my tastes.

As we all know, tone and body language can't be interpreted over the internet.  So what happens, a lot of the time, is that a reader of a certain post/article will project his feelings onto the writer of that post/article.  Just maybe...JUST MAYBE...you are projecting here?  I think so.

And I think that's why Joel can get frustrated with the responses.  To please everyone every hyperbole has to be further explained.  Now, he's going to have to litter his writings with :) or LOL! or hehe.  Get over it.  Stop projecting!

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Sir, please check yourself into a mental institution immediately.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Of course I'd get a response like that, when you know I'm right.

Super-Duper smartie hater!
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home