Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Scoble's latest news. His browser...

http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/06/20.html#a7833

Pardon me, but this has got to be one of the funniest things ever. He was replying to Joel's post on *his* browser, and it refreshed and he lost what he had written.

1- Was he going to say anything against browsers whatsoever?
2- What browser was he using?

Wait until he wakes up for the answers. :-)

Dewd
Monday, June 21, 2004

That's the response. I guess.

It's obvious you cannot trust your web browser to write "longish" texts. There's no confirmation if you accidently close your browser. There's no decent undo either. :)

Green Pajamas
Monday, June 21, 2004

This could be fixed I reckon. The browser could prompt you if you attempt to unload or close a page where you can started filling out a form but not pressed the submit button.

Matthew Lock
Monday, June 21, 2004

Like this: http://prismicspiral.com/scribe/ from the comments on that weblog

Matthew Lock
Monday, June 21, 2004

Sure there is confirmation... if the author bothered to handle the onbeforeunload event.

Oh, I forgot.  Non-IE browsers don't have such a thing, do they?

Live and learn.

Bob Riemersma
Monday, June 21, 2004

This is what passes for Scoble's subtle wit.

But then I didn't think of it first.

Simon Lucy
Monday, June 21, 2004

A funny one too:

Here in Bulgaria one of the most popular free email provider (www.abv.bg) has a 'privacy protection' feature which will make your session invalid after 30 minutes of using.
I have seen this scene a lot:
A guy starts writing an email. He just gets excited and writes for a long time (I've seen a 3 hour email-writing) and when he clicks 'Send' he gets a message: 'Your session expired!'.
So just imagine how stupid is that.

I know there is nothing easier than writing the email in notepad and then just paste it there but it seems that noone is doing this.

So browsers and web apps are going to need much more time to get to the level of experience you find in a desktop app.

Boris Yankov
Monday, June 21, 2004

those expiration type messages drive me nuts, because it's so easy to help the user:

Your session has expired!
Here's your unsent email message:

blah blah blah

Then you can at least copy & paste the damned thing.

mb
Monday, June 21, 2004

> Sure there is confirmation... if the author bothered to handle
>  the onbeforeunload event.
>
> Oh, I forgot.  Non-IE browsers don't have such a thing, do
> they?

You can bet Scoble was using IE.

Matthew Lock
Monday, June 21, 2004

But you'ld loose that bet:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/06/16.html#a7776

"And, I know quite a few of the people on the IE team. They are not happy at all that I'm using Firefox. Whenever I have lunch or a meeting with someone on the IE team they ask me "how can we get you back?""

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Come on, no one reads comments anymore?
He had posted his answer there. May I?

"I was using IE. Yeah, I should use some sort of offline editing tool. Oh, wait, I thought the API was dead and that we had to do everything in the browser. :-)
Robert Scoble • 6/21/04; 9:23:14 AM"

Dewd
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

First Joel wants us all to start blogs and send him personal email notifications if we write something relevant to him, and now we are supposed to start reading freaking blog comments?

Dewd!!!

Anyway, I stand corrected.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"Sure there is confirmation... if the author bothered to handle the onbeforeunload event.

Oh, I forgot.  Non-IE browsers don't have such a thing, do they?"

Better check out Firefox 0.9.

JustYou
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home