Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What are the opportunities for Freelance .NET dev

What are the opportunities for Freelance .NET developers for the next 10 years?

Bobba Feet
Sunday, June 20, 2004

Whatever you do. Just make sure that you continue learning new things as they appear :)

Green Pajamas
Sunday, June 20, 2004

The same as any other language, it depends on what problems you want to solve.

Are you a biz programmer?
Learn about business domains. Learn about finance, real estate, biotech, operations, supply chains.  Learn everything you can. 

Are you a hard science guy?
Learn numerical analysis, oject modeling, software architecture, number crunching algorithms.

Learn how to speak, write, and present yourself as a professional.  Learn to talk to senior people.

Prove you can step in the door and grok a company's business in a week, and you will always find work.  Similarly, stand head & shoulders above the pack on technical issues, and you will be in high demand.

Contrary to popular belief, the sky isn't falling.  The jobs are not all going to India.  But the days of jeans and T-Shirts and halitosis and shit-talking to management are over.

Sassy
Sunday, June 20, 2004

Sassy: "But the days of jeans and T-Shirts and halitosis and shit-talking to management are over.".

Sounds good to me.

Steve Jones (UK)
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

yeah I heard that by 2036 everything will be .NET.

So keep learning all the mumbo jumbo MS puts on their MSDN website. C#.NET, me#.NET, Longhorn, Shorthorn, Mediumhorn, Supersized horn, you frikcing name it. Learn them all they are all good.

It's going to glow in 2036 or so.

P.S. By 2036, there will be 3000566 Windows patches. Har har.

Oh yeah!
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home