Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

GMail?  Heck No !! I've Got Redif Mail!

http://mail.rediff.com/learnmore.htm

1 gig of storage,  Free.  Hosted in India, so you know it's good.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 19, 2004

gmail is pretty impressive.  Their UI is really well done.

Chris Hester
Sunday, June 20, 2004

>Hosted in India, so you know it's good.

Huh?

WTF?
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I just got a gmail account this morning so I only have 4 emails in it, but even with just that many i can see the ui is pretty good, just can't wait till I get a few hundred in it and see how it handles. But I know I will be stealing some of their ideas for my own app, especially that little red "loading" bar at the top, that is quite useful.

The only concern I would have with Redif is that I had never heard of them before this morning when I read it on slashdot - and it would suck to go and check email one day and its all gone (but even with Gmail I still use my domain email address which forwards to Gmail and my ISP) - but more of a concern is  what they might do with your emails, at least Gmail being a US company there will be more backlash if they start selling your messages than if an indian company started doing it.

And on the ads on Gmail, only 1 message out of 4 showed ads. Anybody else with Gmail, is this normal?

Chris Ormerod
Sunday, June 20, 2004

<<WTF? >>

I used Rediffmail and have never had any problems. Care to be more coherent?

Karthik
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I didn't write that, it's spam. Forum moderators can probably confirm that.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 20, 2004

ahan

I don't get it. Rediff.com is a popular service in India. Why would they need to spam? It's like Yahoo or Google spamming on these boards.

Green Pajamas
Sunday, June 20, 2004

Has anyone tried spymac?

They offer 1 gig to everybody right now, web and pop

Regards

//jorge
Sunday, June 20, 2004

Why did you post as MarkTAW Sathyaish?

anon
Sunday, June 20, 2004

How are so many people getting gmail accounts? Am I the only person online without access to the preview release?

Zahid
Sunday, June 20, 2004

No. I am one too :-)

KayJay
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I don't know why people don't get it.
Size doesn't matter :) I am sure before launching Gmail, Google would have predicted that everybody will start offering 1GB of space.
The best things about Gmail are it's UI, google search along with the 1GB space.
If Yahoo or Rediff or Spymac want to beat Google then they have to offer a better UI not just more space.

Anon
Sunday, June 20, 2004

Once you get an account, you get invites to bring in friends. In my experience, the invites come at a pretty regular pace, 3 at a time.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, June 20, 2004

GMail accounts are less than $2 on eBay. I'm a sucker so I just ponied up $1.75 to see the new interface. Obviously, I don't know enough people "in the know" so...

Anonypus
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I got mine from someguys weblog, he had a post "Anybody want Gmail post here" and people have been donating invitations to it.

So far he had 6 to give away, I am sure there will be more I would post the link if I hadn't forgotten it.

Chris Ormerod
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I called my friend last week, the same one who invited me into Orkut, and she was trying to think of a good name for her GMail account. (___@gmail.com) We thought of some clever ones. I don't know what happened to it, but she never sent me an invite. I guess you win some, you lose some.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 21, 2004

At this moment, Gmail is down. 40 hours after I've received the invitation. It feels like it is hosted in India.

Luci Sandor
Monday, June 21, 2004

> she was trying to think of a good name for her GMail account. (___@gmail.com)

[Vinnie Jones]You can call it Susan if it makes you happy.[/Vinnie Jones]

Monday, June 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home