Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

problem with Firefox

Well, I downloaded Firefox to try it out and am now back to using IE.  I like the PopUp blocking, but I read lots of message boards on the net, and for some reason Firefox does not "purple" the links I've visited.  This causes me to click on the same link again and again which is VERRRRYYY annoying.

It's back to IE for me for now.

the real world
Saturday, June 19, 2004

if you're using boards with frames, Firefox won't mark links as read until the frame (page) is loaded again.  This happens on the board on my site, which is why I tend to only use Firefox in brief fits :)

muppet from forums.madebymonkeys.net
Saturday, June 19, 2004

also annoying is the fact that you can't reposition the toolbars (apparently)

Saturday, June 19, 2004

You can reposition the toolbars.

Right Click on a toolbar -> Customize.

Go wild.

Koz
Saturday, June 19, 2004

I can't click a link in forefox until the page finishes loading. If I try to stop the page from loading, then I still can't click the link, but I can open it in a new window. This sucks on pages with heavy graphics, usually by amateur designers.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 19, 2004

I clicked on Customize already, and got 80 hojillion options for changing buttons around, but none for moving toolbars.

Saturday, June 19, 2004

oh wait.. I can drag buttons from one toolbar to another ONE AT A TIME, and then eliminate the extra toolbar.  Why not the ability to drag an entire toolbar?

Saturday, June 19, 2004

There's something you guys can do about this:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org

Please, if you have a reproducible bug,  file it.  If you have a feature request, file it.

Mark, I can't reproduce that one, but it certainly sounds annoying.

Koz
Saturday, June 19, 2004

There isn't a decent progress bar. I really get no idea when downloading will be done. :)

Plus, there wasn't a default "Go" button. I had to add it myself. I use it sometimes.

Green Pajamas
Saturday, June 19, 2004

what?  there are people who put the Go button in ON PURPOSE?

Saturday, June 19, 2004

Yeps. Sometimes when I am using only the mouse. :)

Green Pajamas
Sunday, June 20, 2004

If you're only using the mouse, where does the url come from .....

Koz
Sunday, June 20, 2004

the url comes from copy & paste. basically if you have a link which shows up as text instead of a link.
the firefox address bar has a bunch of problems that the netscape one has with clicking. or at least i seem to remember that, it's probably been 7-8 years since i used netscape. ie of course has its own set of problems.

the middle-click thing annoys me the most. i'm going to look for bugs on it. i use it for scroll, with IE I click blindly, move the mouse to scroll to the end, then spin the wheel to stop. with Firefox, I have to find a place on the page which is not a link, click, move the mouse, wait forever since it doesn't scale as much as IE, then click again to stop the scrolling, since the wheel works in addition to the scroll-mode. (which can be used as a backwards way to accelerate scrolling I guess)

mb
Sunday, June 20, 2004

cool. looks like you can vote for bugs.

mb
Sunday, June 20, 2004

I know there's bugzilla, but I really don't care about it that much.

You're right, it's not always. I don't know why it happens on some pages and not others. Maybe some pages have an onload event that needs to run first.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 20, 2004

"with Firefox, I have to find a place on the page which is not a link, click, move the mouse, wait forever since it doesn't scale as much as IE...." - mb

I think the scaling is adjustable. I'm not at my machine right now, so I can't verify, but take a look for a setting on this.

Zahid
Sunday, June 20, 2004

While the Google seach integration is nice, I really miss the seach history that is available in Google's toolbar plug-in for IE.

I also wanna be able to resize the Google search textfield.

rexguo
Monday, June 21, 2004

rexguo:

One of the benefits of doing the UI with XUL/CSS/Javascript is that anything can be customized. To expand the search bar, add the following line to your userChrome.css file:

textbox#search-bar {width:500px ! important;}

Finally, the Google bar is in fact available for firefox:

http://googlebar.mozdev.org/

mpm
Monday, June 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home