Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

mozilla future

Lot's of goodies on the table. From the creator of javascript:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/

fool for python
Friday, June 18, 2004

I'm a big Mozilla fan, but their lack of direction is a bit worrying.  First they say that Mozilla is going away, to be replaced by Firefox/Thunderbird, but now they're talking about Mozilla 2.0 while at the same time continuing to develop FF/TB.

I don't get it.

Nigritude Ultramarine Hater
Saturday, June 19, 2004

I think Mozilla 2.0 is the "project name" for the next generation of firefox and thunderbird.
The bundled mozilla installer is still going away afair.

Eric Debois
Saturday, June 19, 2004

mozilla is the whole schmozzle, Gecko, Mail, XPCOM, etc, etc.

Firefox is the browser.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, June 19, 2004

Can't someone rescue the "Netscape" name--buy it back from AOL? Just put the name back onto the Mozilla project. Netscape is still recognizable to a lot of people, and they might be more likely to switch back (after a decent PR campaign) than to learn about what Mozilla is or what Firefox is, etc.

(I have heard that AOL now might release a new rev of Netscape based on the latest Moz. code.)

Billy
Saturday, June 19, 2004

AOL won't give up the Netscape name, they're using it for thier new low-end ISP's name:

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3367881

Why you'd name an ISP after a web browser, is beyond me.

Andrew Hurst
Saturday, June 19, 2004

you use Netscape to download the Internet, of course.

mb
Saturday, June 19, 2004

Reminds me of somebody who recently told me she had her son come over and install the Internet on her PC.

Then again in the '70s we had people who would call because "my computer is broken."  Of course all they had were dumb terminals... and no idea that everything wasn't inside of that box on their desks.

Do people hear about "horsepower" and imagine there are all these tiny horses under the hood of their cars too?

Bob Riemersma
Sunday, June 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home