Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Rebates? Not yet?

I am wondering if anyone else out there has actually received a rebate after purchasing h/w or s/w and sending in all the proper stuff.  I haven't.  Heck, Firestone still owes me ~$450 (that I'll never see) from that Explorer fiasco.  Linksys still has yet to pony up for my last two purchases that occurred over 9 months ago. Am I just unlucky or is anyone else out there having a similar problem?

Cheers,

Lao Xuesheng

Lao Xuesheng
Friday, June 18, 2004

same problem.  NEC still owes me $50 for a monitor purchase and Canon owes me video editing software for a promotional camcorder purchase.

muppet is now from madebymonkeys.net
Friday, June 18, 2004

I think companies deliberately make it difficult and/or delay sending out rebates. Then people often forget to send the rebate in or give up trying to collect.

DJ
Friday, June 18, 2004

The only way to make sure you get your rebates is to keep copies of everything and harass people. Some places are better than others... for instance, although I loathe almost everything about Best Buy, they always seem to send the rebate checks.

Some places simply don't pay you until you make money, because that gives them more money for themselves. It's obvious, really.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 18, 2004

SMC delivered $70 to me in about 8 weeks for a router purchase.  I also had another $10 rebate from a local shop for a USB drive come through in about the same amount of time.  Also, Intuit delivered $10 for QuickTax last year in a reasonable amount of time.

There is a web site to check this stuff (only works for US people I think, I am Canadian so it didn't work for me).  I think the site is www.wheresmyrebate.com.

Ray
Friday, June 18, 2004

I got a $100 rebate from Dell in under two weeks after sending in the forms.  They said "allow up to 8 weeks" or somesuch, but I got it much faster.

Come to think of it, I've gotten all ten or so rebates I've ever sent for, no problem.

Junkster
Friday, June 18, 2004

Many of these companies outsource the rebate processing. Those companies make a flat rate and often a percentage of the amount not collected. I worked at such a place for a while, it was interesting to see how often people had to call to get anything processed at all.

Jeff
Friday, June 18, 2004

I've gotten rebates, but I think they've always been late, and I never received a check before calling and complaining.

Just assume that you have to follow up after 8 or 10 weeks or whatever. If you have copies and call the rebate company off it, they'll generally come through. If you don't, you won't see a cent.

Chris Tavares
Friday, June 18, 2004

"I am wondering if anyone else out there has actually received a rebate after purchasing h/w or s/w and sending in all the proper stuff"

Take a look at http://www.gripe2ed.com

Scroll down o the search box, and search for rebate.

Paulo Caetano
Friday, June 18, 2004

Never had a problem with rebates.  I wonder what all the fuss is about.

Karl Perry
Friday, June 18, 2004

Never had a problem either (except forgetting to send it in :)

Got $400 from Dell on two computers recently. $30 or so on tax software and anti-virus every year.

sgf
Friday, June 18, 2004

A bright spot: Costco is VERY good about rebates. They even have a mail-less rebate procedure that allows you to file the rebate on the web.

Intuit (Quicken & Quickbooks) has been good about rebates. Also got a $200 rebate on a Toshiba Satellite laptop a couple of Christmases ago, which seemed to take awhile (a month or so.)

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 18, 2004

The last rebates I sent in were for a Seagate 160GB hard drive, one rebate from Best Buy and one from Seagate totalling $70.  They came in about five weeks.

Of course, we made copies of everything, and I set a reminder on my Palm for when too much time had passed.  When you do this, you're almost guaranteed to get the rebate.  When you don't copy anything and mail it off in blind faith and don't keep track of the time, you're almost guaranteed you'll never see the money.  This is just how the world works.

Kyralessa
Saturday, June 19, 2004

one thing to know if you've never filled in a rebate form before:  the checks often come as postcards designed to look like junk mail. clever, eh?

mb
Saturday, June 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home