Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

A few idiotic Windows network Q's

I am setting up a Windows 2000 server for someone. "Idiotic" means first-order type questions.

A few general questions:

1) There are two workstations (point of sale terminals) in addition to the server, which also doubles as the business owner's workstation. There will never be any more users, or at most maybe one more, and no internet users. Do I have any reason or business setting up Active Directory? I have never set up A.D. before but MS has this blanket of terminology around it like it's supposed to be what you use in all cases.

2) Do I make the server a primary domain controller? Or does this concept still exist in Windows 2000?

3) Whichever way I go on the server, how do I set up the workstations to avoid getting the 'winlogin' dialog when they access the server's shares the first time? Ideally I'd like to have the workstations be able to access the server shares w/o any user action beyond logging into Windows. (the workstations are running Windows NT 4.0.)

A pointer to specific resources on the net would be ideal.  I'm new to admin, I'm more of a programmer...

Thanks.

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 18, 2004

1. No.
2. N/A.
3. Make sure their usernames and passwords are the same on both the workstations and servers.  When Windows attempts to connect to a share it will try the same username and password that the user logged in with locally.

Anonymous
Friday, June 18, 2004

Thanks, whoever you are.

As far as #3: RIGHT. Duhhhh beeble beeble beeble.... damn I feel dense sometimes.

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 18, 2004

Yes, but Microsoft will tell you (and is telling you) that having the same usernames/passwords is not a recommended practice. . .

Elephant
Friday, June 18, 2004

What is the recommended practice then?

DJ
Friday, June 18, 2004

Ankur
Friday, June 18, 2004

kerberos ticketing.  Clickety, clickety.

But what the heck is the point if you're running just a few boxes?

hoser
Friday, June 18, 2004

>> But what the heck is the point if you're running just a few boxes?

I sense a debate between the Raymond Chen crowd and the MSDN-infatuee crowd beginning to form...

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 18, 2004

I believe doing #2 would solve #3.

Derek
Friday, June 18, 2004

If there are never going to be more than four machines on the network why bother with Win 2k server? Just use a standard XP Pro setup.

If it's alerady paid for and set up, then joining all workstations to the domain and making the server the PDC should solve most problems.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home