Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Leaky Abstractions, part 2

Regarding Joel's 6/17/2004 list of desires for HTML4:

Some seem to require an enormous band-width back to the server.  Doesn't this step on the toes of the "Leaky Abstraction" idea?  You don't HAVE a 1 GigHz bandwidth back to your server. 

Downloading 300 employee names and addresses, or even pausing with each entered letter to re-lookup what names match with THAT letter, seems fraught with peril to me.  What do others think?

AllanL5
Friday, June 18, 2004

Actually, it's relatively easy to do lots of things like this in the background now....

I use iframes of size zero to build a pseudo-threading application that allows lots of multiple things to happen simultaneously without having much of an impact on the user.

I know this does not work as well for slow connections, but most (99%) of my apps are entirely internal.

KC
Friday, June 18, 2004

300 customer names?  1 GigHz bandwidth (whatever that is?  You mean gigabit?).

Are you on drugs, son?

300 customer names is what..  9k or so on average? 9k isn't a lot to ask of a network, STINKY!

Mr Fancypants
Friday, June 18, 2004

ok, so if it's 9k then pulling it for every keystroke is an extraordinarily stupid idea. networks often have high latency, even with high bandwitdh. just load them all at once and do the auto-fill matching entirely on the client.

mb
Friday, June 18, 2004

It was 300,000 employees not 300!!

Read the article
Friday, June 18, 2004

It'd help if the data were downloaded in compressed form and decompressed by the browser, rather than downloading a huge chunk of text.

Jon Hendry
Friday, June 18, 2004

Um, we already have that feature built into HTTP.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Saturday, June 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home