Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

DHTML

"Proprietary tools like Macromedia's or Java Applets that embed clever widgets in rectangles in a browser. I want this stuff integrated with DHTML and CSS, deeply in the fabric of the web"

Hey J, DHTML is JavaScript  and CSS combined
it is not technology just a name of the combination

Thomas
Friday, June 18, 2004

I believe DHTML pre-dates CSS.  So really DHTML is really the name of Javascript and HTML!

Almost Anonymous
Friday, June 18, 2004

I don't see how it could: as I understand it the Javascript (or VBscript) has to hook to the DOM, and to make a change in behavior or content of the DOM it has to change a CSS attribute, no?

Do you have a reference for DHTML predating CSS?  Is this a reference to early Netscape, perhaps?

Mongo
Friday, June 18, 2004

DHTML absolutely predated the DOM.

Javascript was introduced as early as IE3 and Netscape 3 and could manipulate certain mundate parts of the document.

But even with IE4, the DOM was not yet standarized (evidenced by the fact that IE4 doesn't support getElementById).

Aaron Boodman
Friday, June 18, 2004

Well, I know Javascript and showed up earlier, but I don't recall that anyone ever referred to it as DHTML until it hooked into the DOM by way of CSS.  In fact, I thought it was, by definition, the combination of script/DOM by way of CSS.

It's hardly a canonical reference, but I did find one link that seems to agree with my definition and recollection. 

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/introdh.html#hist

I took a quick peek at W3C, but couldn't find anything useful. 

Even if he's right, though, I can certainly see how someone could interpret having _any_ script interaction with the DOM as being DHTML ...

Mongo
Friday, June 18, 2004

"Well, I know Javascript and showed up earlier, but I don't recall that anyone ever referred to it as DHTML until it hooked into the DOM by way of CSS."

Internet Explorer (and to a lesser extent Netscape) had a "DOM" before CSS.  The reason why even have this term is because, at the time, it described this pre-CSS DOM.

We don't really need to use the term DHTML anymore as all HTML is dynamic.

Almost Anonymous
Friday, June 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home